Basement WC move and Ejector Discharge

Users who are viewing this thread

rickseville

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing my basement and had 2 questions.

First, I need to move the toilet drain over 3 to 7 inches. In the attached floor plan, the BLUE is where the builder had stubbed out the drain pipes. The RED is my best guess as to where the pipes are located under the concrete. And the GREEN is how I plan to move the toilet drain over (using a 22.5 degree elbow, then a closet bend). Does that meet code? Also, do you think I will have issues with the sink drain/vent fitting being in the way? Is there a better way? I appreciate any advice.

Second, I need advice on how to tie my sewage ejector discharge line into the main waste line. Attached is a picture of how the builder stubbed it out. However, it needs to extend out to reach the ejector pit. Ideally, I would have liked to extend the pipe that's between the 1/8 Bend and the 1/4 Bend (RED circle), but there doesn't seem to be enough pipe to work with. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• WC_Move copy.jpg
    WC_Move copy.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 687
  • DischargeConnection.jpg
    DischargeConnection.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 942

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
1) I don't quite get what your question is. The little bend you want to put in the toilet drain is insignificant. Since you're
moving it away from the lav drain/vent, how could that make it get in the way?

2) The solution to not having enough pipe to work with, is to get some more pipe.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Your shower drain is not properly vented...

Not sure exactly what's there with the second picture, but if it needs to move, you have lots of choices. You could swap the elbow for one with hubs on both ends, and since you're moving it over, use whatever sized pipe length you need to rejoin things.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What you are looking to do to move the toilet is fine.

For your discharge, they make a special drill bit for drilling PVC pipe out of the hub of a fitting so that the fitting can be re-used. One brand is RamBit. If you can't jog the vertical pipe over far enough with a couple of bends, it would be an alternative to cutting the wye out and redoing the entire section.

If your shower is plumbed like that, the trap could siphon every time someone flushes the toilet. Hopefully the shower is vented and you just have not shown that.

Edit to add- you would have to look at the space available up between the joists to see if you could get a drill with the rambit up in that space. Buying the bit will cost you and alternatively it wouldn't be too bad to cut out that entire section and redo it.

Last edited:

Dlarrivee

Reaction score
2) The solution to not having enough pipe to work with, is to get some more pipe.

Are you sure you should be giving out advice here?

There is obviously not enough pipe left to work with between those 2 fittings, buying more pipe doesn't solve this.

rickseville

Reaction score
Thanks kreemoweet. Sorry for the confusion. In my first question, I mainly wanted to know if moving the WC drain with the 22.5 degree elbow was acceptable, or if there was a better solution. When the builder stubbed the tub/shower drain, they didn't take into consideration the main waste line sticking out half way up the wall. So i have to move the tub/shower drain and the WC drain a few inches. As for the question of the lav drain getting in the way, i just wanted to make sure my guess of how it's tied into the 3" drain was correct.

Thanks Jim for telling me to vent my shower. I thought it would wet vent, but I'll take your word since you're the engineer and add a vent between the trap and the 3" pipe.

Again, I'm sorry about the confusion on my second question. In the red circle in the picture I posted earlier, there is a fitting attached to a 2" pipe attached to another fitting. If I cut that 2" pipe, it will give me less than half an inch of the 2" pipe. So my question is: is less than half an inch of pipe enough surface area for me to solvent glue a fitting onto? And if I can't, can I just add a 90 degree elbow below the current 90 degree elbow and extend the line to my ejector pit? I'm not sure how many bends code will allow me to have on a discharge line. Hope this makes sense. I probably just made it more confusing.

Thanks.

rickseville

Reaction score
Thanks cacher_chick. You're Rambit advice is a great solution. I'll do some research on it, but does anybody know if it works well, or do people sometimes mess up the hub? If the Rambit option doesn't work, I can add a 90 degree elbow below the current 90 degree elbow to reach the ejector pit. Does that meet code for a discharge line? I would have to lower a small section of the ceiling a bit, but I'd rather do that than replacing the entire wye section from the main waste line.

Thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your shower is not vented, but moving the toilet does not create any problems. saying you will add a vent between the trap and 3" does NOT tell us whether you will be doing it correctly. Just offset the pump line beneath the joists rather than take a chance of damaging the "Y" fitting because you would have to "RamBit" the 45 out of the Y since you do not have enough room between the 45 and the joist to do it to that connection.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Thanks cacher_chick. You're Rambit advice is a great solution. I'll do some research on it, but does anybody know if it works well, or do people sometimes mess up the hub? If the Rambit option doesn't work, I can add a 90 degree elbow below the current 90 degree elbow to reach the ejector pit. Does that meet code for a discharge line? I would have to lower a small section of the ceiling a bit, but I'd rather do that than replacing the entire wye section from the main waste line.Thanks

What we cannot see from your pictures is how far you need to jog the vertical over to reach the pump.
If it is only a few inches, I would just use a couple of 1/8 bends and a short lenth of pipe to make up a 45 degree offset. I prefer to keep the flow as linear as possible to reduce noise and chance of buildup. If you need 90's I would suggest nothing but long turn 90's on a discharge line such as that.

rickseville

Reaction score
Thanks again cacher_chick. I plan on taking your advice and use the the long sweep 90 to connect the discharge line.

HJ, for the shower vent, I was planning to run a vent line along the joist from the lav vent to right up above the shower and down the stud into the shower drain right after the trap. I would have to break up some concrete there, but I was planning to do that any ways to move the drain over a few inches. Would that work, or is there a better way? This may all be moot because of what I explain in the next paragraph.

I just discovered another problem. I originally thought I had two pipes that vented out to the roof: the lav vent behind the WC and a 2 inch pipe stubbed out in the ceiling between the shower and ejector pit. I was planning to use that second vent pipe for the ejector pit. Upon further inspection, I found that this vent pipe actually runs along the joist and ties into the lav vent. Which means I only have one pipe vented to the roof. Since I believe code calls for a dedicated vent line for the sewage ejector, I seem to be short one vent line. Would that mean I have to use AAVs for the lav, WC and shower? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks