Air temperature affecting expansion tank air psi

Users who are viewing this thread

DRG32

Reaction score
I've got an expansion tank in my attic near the hot water heater and the air psi in the expansion tank can vary 5 or 6 psi depending on the air temperature in the attic. I live in Texas where it gets very hot, and freezes from time to time. I added air when the temperature was about 70* or so thinking that is a good median temp. Any other tips or ideas? Is that much of a difference a big deal? Should I wrap insulation around the tank? Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The air tank pressure will ALWAYS be at the same prsssure as your water system, once you turn the water on. IF it is varying, it is because your water pressure is changing, NOT air temperature. However, the air pressure is fairly immaterial as long as it is NOT zero, (but ideally at lest 20 psi), and not above about 100 psi. Between those two values the VOLUME of air in the tank will change, but it will still be at the water system's pressure, and do its job.

DRG32

Reaction score
I've got a pressure reducing valve and the pressure is set at 59 psi (check it often) The pressure will slightly increase while the hot water heater is running (after someone takes a shower). I always cut the water off and drain the lines prior to checking the air pressure in the expansion tank. I've just noticed that when the attic is warmer the pressure is slightly higher, and the pressure is slightly less when the attic is cool. I won't worry much if the difference is not that big of deal.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Pv=nRT. If you look it up, it will tell you that pressure-volume is directly related to the temperature. In your case, you could consider volume a constant (not exactly true, but close enough) so both temp and pressure will track linearly. Your tire pressure on your car changes with ambient temperatures, too. Just set it for your nominal water pressure when the temp's nominal, and that's the best you can do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks