Copper "soft" pipe used as part of gas hookup?

Users who are viewing this thread

josef

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was at my mothers checking out her electric water heater that had started to leak and made a mess in the crawl space. Didn't think it was that big a deal and ran out to get a new water heater, yada yada.

While in the crawlspace I noticed that the gas line to the furnace and oven was made up of black pipe and soft copper pipe sections. It looked like someone moved the furnace from an old spot, and then tied into the new spot with copper instead of black pipe.

Is this legal/safe/etc? I live in ATL georgia, and we use IPC 2006 w/ ammendments for atlanta. Do I need to call a plumber out asap to replace that copper with black pipe or is it ok? Thanks,

Josef

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It depends on your gas and how it was connected. Some gas is corrosive to copper, and the only "safe" connections are flared fittings or brazing. It can NEVER be soft soldered.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The only "gas" lines I ever brazed was Oxygen lines using dehydrated L tubing or nitrogenous lines

Gas piping always is schedule 40 pipe

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks