(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: copper "soft" pipe used as part of gas hookup?

Default copper "soft" pipe used as part of gas hookup?

Hey everyone,

I was at my mothers checking out her electric water heater that had started to leak and made a mess in the crawl space. Didn't think it was that big a deal and ran out to get a new water heater, yada yada.

While in the crawlspace I noticed that the gas line to the furnace and oven was made up of black pipe and soft copper pipe sections. It looked like someone moved the furnace from an old spot, and then tied into the new spot with copper instead of black pipe.

Is this legal/safe/etc? I live in ATL georgia, and we use IPC 2006 w/ ammendments for atlanta. Do I need to call a plumber out asap to replace that copper with black pipe or is it ok? Thanks,

Josef

It depends on your gas and how it was connected. Some gas is corrosive to copper, and the only "safe" connections are flared fittings or brazing. It can NEVER be soft soldered.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber