Centaur Carbon Filter ?'s

Users who are viewing this thread

statin

Reaction score
Hello, I am curious how this project turned out. I actually am planning a similar project and surprised to find someone doing the same. If by any chance if the OP could either PM or post his results. Thanks, John

statin

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages for a similar install as the OP. Would using an old water heater for retention tank be ok? If not what kind of tank? Thanks, John

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I'm using a 120-gallon galvanized tank the original installer provided. I would prefer a Polyglas tank of the same size, similar to those at: http://www.cleanwaterstore.com/contact-tank.html, since the geometry of the bottom drain facilitates draining the gunk out -- the steel tanks usually have an inverted-dome bottom, with the drain about 10" up. The size of the tank is dependent on several things, reviewed here: www.nmrwa.org/resources/training/ChlorineContactTime.pdf. The design of the tank also affects the size -- if its internal design makes mixing more efficient, you can reduce the size of the tank. One such tank can be found at: http://www.apwinc.com/retention_tank.html. Acccording to the patent, in that tank "A series of baffles in the mixing chamber are arranged in sinusoidal or saw-tooth pairs that can be oppositely arranged, so that the mixer turns a drop of water into hundreds of micro-bubbles of rotating fluid, which allows the chemicals to exit the mixer and react with fluid in a storage tank as much five times faster than previously known." Presumably this would improve the "baffling efficiency" referred to in the PDF from near-zero in an ordinary tank to something greater, perhaps close to 100%. Your mileage may vary. I'm going to try one.

Having seen the inside of "an old water heater" tank, I wouldn't use it for much of anything.

Last edited:

jfr121

Reaction score
It has been a long time since I made this original post and wanted to let everyone here who helped me out how everything turned out. I ended up using a Stenner 3gpd peristaltic pump and pump module to inject the hydrogen peroxide instead of the Chemilizer pump. The reason for this decision was that there would be no need to dilute the h202 with distilled or RO water using the Stenner pump versus the Chemilizer. This made it much easier on my dad and his arthritic hands, no carrying many gallon jugs of water and having to mix it up with the peroxide helped tip the scale. The system has been working for 6 months now and the water is great! No more rusty sinks, toilets, or showers. And it tastes wonderful for the first time in a long, long time. I still want to try a Chemilizer pump and will do so on another house sometime in the near future. Will let you know how well that turns out. Thanks again for all of your help, it really came in handy getting this system designed and working well. John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks