Tub faucet stems an odd size - how to remove?

Users who are viewing this thread

salitt

Reaction score
My very old house has decided to spring a leak in one of the shower faucets. Unfortunately, it's the hot one - when you turn on the hot water, more water comes out the faucet handle then out the tub spout! (Probably an exaggeration, but that's what it feels like.) I went to pull the stem valve to replace it or the washer only to discover that the 21/32 tub socket wrench is too small and the 27/32 tub socket wrench is too big. I've not been able to find a tub socket wrench in between. The local plumbing supply store tells me that some manufacturers have their own specific tools, but I can't find a name printed anywhere. From the looks of it, the bathroom was probably renovated last in the 50's (all pinkish). It's up for a gut job hopefully mid-next year, so I don't want to damage too much in the process, but I would like to stop burning my hand on the faucet. Any suggestions on how I can get the faucet stem out?

thank you!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT would be a lot easier to answer the question if we had a picture of the faucet. What about a deep 3/4" socket and use pliers or a wrench to turn it, because the stem would be poking out of the square drive opening?

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
17 mm, 11/16, 18 mm, 19 mm, 3/4, 20 mm, 13/16, 21 mm deep sockets should be available wherever a good
selection of tools is sold. Those "tub socket" sets are usually none too accurate in their size markings.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Actually, sometimes the faucet castings are not "accurate". I have had faucets where the "standard" socket for that model is to loose to turn it. Then, I hit the side of the socket with a hammer to make it smaller, then remove the stem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks