Korky Fill Valve - Water rises very slowly after shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

John414

Reaction score
I just installed a new cap on the Korky fill valve in a Kohler Wellworth toilet, along with a new flapper. I left the lid off for a couple days to watch the water level and was surprised to see that it rises very slowly. When the valve shuts off, the water level is just below the water level line on the tube. When I check it hours later, the water level has risen. Overnight it rises to the top of the tube and undoubtedly overflows into the tube, although I haven't observed overflow. I don't hear any running or hissing or see any bubbling. Do I need a new fill valve?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally replacing the assembly cap on the Korky fill valve does it. You may want to make sure that the float swivels on the hinge and that the rubber seal on the cap is clean.
www.terrylove.com/korky

R528-Unpackaged.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One seemingly unrelated thing to check is your incoming water pressure. Some valves do not like to close if the water pressure is outside of normal range. Anything ove 80psi should be regulated at most to that level (and most people are well satisfied with lower pressures).

The Fluidmaster is a decent valve but my experience with it is that it does shut off more abruptly, and if there's anything loose, can cause pipes to bang. The Korky shuts off more gradually, and if there's anything on the seal, it may not make it all the way. Also, as Terry already said, if the float is not reinstalled properly, it can hang up which prevents things from turning off.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
When the cap assembly doesn't work, then the small rubber seal on float cup arm is probably the culprit. Hardly anyone stocks the float cup except in bone piles. I am pretty fed up with this issue on Korky/Toto fill valves and am inclined to "Ditch the Korky" as Towers Plumbing says (unless you carry the float cup with you as well).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just installed two Korky MaxPerformance fill valves today.
One on a American Standard Cadet 3, and one on a Kohler Memoirs.

I removed two Fluidmaster valves.
Both bowls were taking too long to fill, and the Cadet 3 was overfilling the bowl.
By installing the Korky MaxPerformance, I was able to dial in the bowl fill so that the the tank quit filling the same times as the bowl refill. Saving water and the time it takes to refill. Now about 45 seconds on the refill, not five minutes like with the Fluidmaster.

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
When the cap assembly doesn't work, then the small rubber seal on float cup arm is probably the culprit. Hardly anyone stocks the float cup except in bone piles. I am pretty fed up with this issue on Korky/Toto fill valves and am inclined to "Ditch the Korky" as Towers Plumbing says (unless you carry the float cup with you as well).

I can't imagine the need to carry around a float cup with you. No need to repair the 528. Given that the thing can be had for less than $10, by the time you hit the customer's driveway, your labor charge is enough to buy a case of the valves. The cap is a nice way for a homeowner to do a DIY repair, but if the problem is something else, there's no reason to do anything other than simply replace the valve. It isn't worth 5 minutes of plumber-time to diagnose. By then, you could have replaced the 528 and be filling out the bill.

And it doesn't mean that there's anything wrong with the 528 or that it should be replaced with something else. It's very flexible, quiet, reliable, and easy to adjust to the right refill. A much easier DIY install than a Fluidmaster.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
It's been mentioned in other threads that the Korky 528MPK can be purchased at Lowe's. Unless the on-line system is totally incorrect, it shows it as a "store pickup item" so it's not stocked at any location in my area.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Lowes around here carries the 528 and the 528MP
The MP is a few dollars more, but it's adjustable. I've seen them at other hardware stores too.

In a pinch, you can use Fluidmaster, I just don't like them as well for some bowls. Your typical Fluidmaster 400A is been a bit noisy which counts for something in my book.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
It's been mentioned in other threads that the Korky 528MPK can be purchased at Lowe's. Unless the on-line system is totally incorrect, it shows it as a "store pickup item" so it's not stocked at any location in my area.

I just did a search on 528mpk at lowes.com, and it says its available in store for pickup or to ship. Al the stores in my area show it available. I just typed in 528mpk nothing more or less. Of course, its different in Canada I discovered.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
I just did a search on 528mpk at lowes.com, and it says its available in store for pickup or to ship. Al the stores in my area show it available. I just typed in 528mpk nothing more or less. Of course, its different in Canada I discovered.
My bad! It is available in my area. Hmm, I'll consider this when my Fluidmaster 400A dies.

I do know that Lowe's doesn't stock the Korky 3" flush vavle at all but the flapper can be ordered through them.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks