mountain bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

Riley746

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding an outbuilding to a Colorado mountain cabin. I want to make it into a bedroom with a bathroom. The structure is on concrete piers and there's no crawl space. I'll hire a plumber but I'm wondering if my design will work. The bathroom is on an outside wall. I'm going to build two 2x6 walls, one insulated and the other for plumbing. I want to put in a clawfoot bathtub, toilet, and sink. If I use a TOTO wall hung CT418FG with a Geberit 111.728 carrier sytem can I run the septic in the interior wall with the water? Can I vent the toilet out the end wall? Please see sketch.

Attachments

• bathroom.jpg
    bathroom.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 439
Last edited by a moderator:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Please be sure to vent properly !
Then run drain pipe out back wall and let run down side of mountain

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Macplumb, surely you are not suggesting he just let the sewage for the toilet "run down the side of the mountain"? This not India, it's Colorado, USA and we don't just dump sewage down the side of our mountains! Maybe (I hope) you just haven't explained yourself too well.

Riley746

Reaction score
The toilet will run to a septic system. My question is can I run the pipe from the toilet horizontally in the inside wall?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will want to vent the tub, the toilet and the lav.
The lav can wet vent the toilet.
The tub vent can tie into the other vent(s) at 42" above the floor. If you run the vent out the side wall, you will then need to extend through the roof.
Water and DWV is normally done in the same wall. Having a wall of insulation behind the plumbing is a good idea. To keep the trap for the tub above the floor, (that's what you are intending?) you will need to raise it. Otherwise the trap is installed below the floor, with just the slip joint nut extending above the floor.

gerberit_carrier_install.jpg

Last edited:

Riley746

Reaction score
The tub sits on legs so it's 4 3/4" above the floor. Can I run the drain along the floor to the wall and then use an elbow to run it inside the wall?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I realize that the tub is on legs, but you also have a waste and overflow, and that connects to a p-trap.
The p-trap below the tub waste is going to take up some space.
And you will need the p-trap unless you don't mind smelling your septic tank odors.

A vent for a tub p-trap is typically within 42"

More then likely, the p-trap will have to be below the floor.

Attachments

• tub_drain_trap.jpg
    tub_drain_trap.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 419
Last edited:

Riley746

Reaction score
So I could run it to the wall and put the trap in a chase, insulate the chase, and then run the pipe horizontally to the sewer connection?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The trap will be at the bottom of the waste and overflow assembly, so it will be below the floor. You could box it in below the floor with an insulated chase and run heat to the chase. From the trap the drain will have to go towards a wall so that the vent take-off can rise vertically up the wall to go out the roof.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A cold, windy environment will freeze things up if there are any air leaks, regardless of the insulation so you must be quite meticulous in doing your walls and insulation plus air sealing. you won't be able to turn the heat down either without winterizing things which means draining what you can and filling the traps with RV antifreeze. Make sure to install your water lines with some slope so you can drain them down well. The only thing in a drain that should be at issue are the traps, and those will need the antifreeze. Keep in mind the insulation only slows the movement of heat, it doesn't generate any. There's no such thing as cold, only the absence of heat. Since this building is up on piers, you must pay close attention to the water supplies and have a reliable source of heat, or provide for some means to drain or blow them dry. You ight consider pex - the tubing itself is unlikely to split if it freezes, but connectors will, so where they are placed is critical.

Riley746

Reaction score
I have one more question. I'm going to use a gas tankless Rinnai for a water heater. The propane comes in by the water. I'm going to panel the room with beadboard Can I recess the Rinnai in the 6" interior wall at the end of the tub so the vent goes through the ceiling in the interior wall and only the face of the Rinnai extends beyond the panelling? Also is there any problem putting it up above the end of the tub?

Thanks for the cold comments. We use this year around so we'll keep low heat on in the bathroom.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Each unit will have some very specific clearance requirements, then you have to consider maintenance (and a tankless will require typically annual cleaning to remove mineral deposits so you'll want to include the isolation valves and purge points for that). All of that may make it impractical to recess the unit even if allowed. Now, assuming it is a condensing unit that uses pvc for venting and air intake, that can make at least a few turns (each turn decreases the maximum linear flue it can support but it sounds like you should have enough). If it isn't condensing, then the flue will have bigger issues about clearance to flamables. You should download and read the installation manual for the model of interest and that will tell you what is allowed. Note, local codes may differ, but usually follow the installation manual from the manufacturer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A "sealed direct vent" heater, since it does not use room air for combustion can be installed in bedrooms and bathrooms. Your tub trap will be partially depressed through the floor, but most of it will be above the floor because its outlet will have to be at the height of your drain line, and if you do some measuring, I think you will find that the tub is TOO low for an above the floor horizontal drain line. The tub may be 4 3/4" above the floor, but drain "shoe" will be about 3 3/4", subtract from that the "end to center" of the drain tee, and you will be just about at the floor level, meaning, that if you can somehow get it connected to your horizontal drain line, it will usually stand full of water and thus have poor drainage.

Riley746

Reaction score
Could I put an electric rinnai in the bathroom or a gas rinnai boxed in on the exterior? Do you think the plumbing would work if put the tub on a 2 - 5" platform?

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
macplumb, surely you are not suggesting he just let the sewage for the toilet "run down the side of the mountain"? This not India, it's Colorado, USA and we don't just dump sewage down the side of our mountains! Maybe (i hope) you just haven't explained yourself too well.
Yes that is what I meant,
but then I was just kidding around Gary !
It just seemed the thing to post

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
could i put an electric rinnai in the bathroom or a gas rinnai boxed in on the exterior? Do you think the plumbing would work if put the tub on a 2 - 5" platform?
yes you can use a electric rinnai if they make one it just depends on how close you are to a nuclear power
plant or hydro-electric dam for the size of wire you would need to run !

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Electric tankless systems need SUBSTANTIAL power going in to make a decent flow to fill a tub, especially where you are on that mountain, the wintertime incoming water is likely to be near freezing. You'd probably have to upgrade your electrical service and run a quite expensive cable to supply the thing. Since you're planning propane, you wouldn't need to address the gas pipe size like you might if it were NG. How is this building heated? If you have a boiler, had you considered an indirect WH?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks