(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I plumb a toilet like this? What toilet?

DIY Junior Member shortcuttomoncton's Avatar

Thanks guys. I've spoken to Duravit and their cus. support tells me their wall-hung carriers are available for 2x4 or 2x6 framing, just like Toto.....but their in-wall tanks for the above floor-standing, rear-outlet Starck 2 model is only for a 2x6 wall. Stymied at every turn!

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, so I've asked them to search for a floor-standing, rear-outlet model that can have a 2x4 in-wall tank....hopefully they find something for me.

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP) Lakee911's Avatar

Must need that extra room for the tank.

Yep. It's back to a floor-standing, with-tank, rear-outlet toilet. Hopefully I can drain it the way I want.

I wouldn't take the word of any "customer service" rep on any kind of technical question. Surely they have drawings
    available for you to download? If detailed enough, they will answer all your questions. If the drain pipes can be located
    on the farther side of the wall, one assumes it will be no problem if the tank protrudes likewise into that space? And perhaps
    some frame extensions in the vicinity of the tank? I get the feeling that whoever you've been talking to just cannot visualize
    the "non-standard" setup you're aiming for.

It might be just the inaccurate scaling of your drawing, but the space you designate as "corner shower" looks extremely cramped
    to me.
    Last edited by kreemoweet; 12-04-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kreemoweet View Post
    If the drain pipes can be located
    on the farther side of the wall, one assumes it will be no problem if the tank protrudes likewise into that space? And perhaps
    some frame extensions in the vicinity of the tank?
    What do you mean "if the tank protrudes likewise into that space"? Do you mean the toilet tank? Why would that have to protrude into the wall?

I get the feeling that whoever you've been talking to just cannot visualize
    the "non-standard" setup you're aiming for.
    Yeah, me too...which makes sense, it's hard to convey verbally.

It might be just the inaccurate scaling of your drawing, but the space you designate as "corner shower" looks extremely cramped
    to me.
    Yeah that started out as a different drawing - it's actually a freestanding tub going there. The hole itself is 16 inches wide, plus an additional 36 to the toilet - plenty of space for the size of the bathroom.

What I meant about the tank: when they say they have a tank which "requires" a 2x6 wall, it may be they just mean it would take
    a 2x6 wall to "hide" the dang thing, not that it couldn't be installed in a 2x4 wall, or modified 2x4 wall.

Last edited by Terry; 12-04-2012 at 09:26 PM.

Ahhh okay yes, I see what you mean. Sorry, in my own mind I've gone back to a tank toilet. The problem with the back of the wall is that although I'd be able to box out pipes along the floor, it is going to be a closet with a large closet organizer - so having to make part of the wall 2x6 would mean an odd protrusion that would make the organizer difficult to install. And if I've got to build the wall "out" on the bathroom side, well the reason I was doing that was to save toilet depth; if I've got to add a couple inches because of the wall, well then I'm only 2 or so inches shorter than a regular toilet, except I've done a lot more work with wall framing and installing the tank, etc. Lazy ftw!

Well I've narrowed down to one wall-hung toilet, the Toto Aquia with in-wall carrier for 2x4 walls:

http://www.totousa.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=729

And one rear-outlet, standing toilet, the Happy D. 017009:

http://www.duravit.us/website/homepa...n.html/p-92891

Does anyone see any problem with existing either of those toilets as we're attempting to do? The Toto Aquia in particular seems to show the exit elbow flowing straight down into the subfloor.....I'm just not sure why it could not be angled instead...?

Many thanks guys, great advice and things to consider here.

Last edited by Terry; 12-05-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Also, Signature Hardware has a number of "European rear-outlet" toilets listed for sale - not sure of the quality, but it's tough to find a bunch of these in one spot.

http://www.signaturehardware.com/class1661
    Last edited by shortcuttomoncton; 12-05-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The carrier may not have room to run the pipe to the side...would need a different view to tell.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

From the elbow joint, you mean? That's my problem as well - the elbow (and installation) shows it going straight down into the subfloor, between the carrier legs. I would have to go out for about 4 inches (to get around the carrier), and then angle off to the side along the wall.

Without seeing the thing it's tough to say....

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

a 3" pipe takes up all the space in a 2x4 wall. It's fine if you are dropping vertically.

Yes, we would have to go through the wall and then angle across. Like I said, cannot drop vertically below the floor level until about 30" to the side of the toilet.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well.............depending on your wall mount, that will determine how thick that wall is going to be. To hang a bowl on a wall, the wall has to be strong enough to support the water in the tank, the bowl, and a 250 pound user. At the least you need that much. I have relatives and friends that would need a 400 pound support.

Many of the wall hung bowls done in the 60's, used a 2x8 wall.
    A 2x6 wall could be done, but it was pretty minimal. And that was with doubled studs, done floor to ceiling.
    In commercial buildings, I could use a cast iron support that I secured to the concrete floor, as the walls in those bathrooms were metal studs, and they don't hang any weight.
    Last edited by Terry; 12-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.

Yes, I agree Terry - I think we're going to go with a floor mount rear-outlet such as this one from Signature Hardware. It would have been questionable to have a 2x6 wall and then attempt to exit straight to the other side of it before starting to angle down....