Do I need a toilet that flushes "up"? (for lower level of house?)

Users who are viewing this thread

MOV

Reaction score
Heh, so just as we were getting ready to order a Toto Drake for our house, a relative mentioned that if we were on the lower level of the house, we'd need a toilet that "flushed up".

Our house is a "raised level ranch" -- there's a ground level when you walk in (not a basement below ground, but just a plain ground main level), with a half-bathroom/laundry/utility room combo, a family room, and a bedroom, and then you go up one flight of stairs to an upper level with the "main" living area (living room, kitchen, 3 beds, and a main bath).

We had never heard of needing a toilet that flushed up, but they said it was something to do with the plumbing going "up" from the ground level to the main living area upstairs. (???)

Our original plan was to move the current toilet from upstairs into the half-bath on the ground level... and then install the new Toto in the main bath upstairs. The ground level toilet is being tossed.

So CAN we replace the lower-level one with the regular upstairs toilet, or even the Drake? Or what is this about needing one for the ground level half-bath that "flushes up"? Any help would be great... thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
That's a little confusing.

If you already have plumbing on the first floor, including a toilet, I would assume that they are draining by gravity.

Is it gravity or is it being pumped.

If you have a pump system and everything run to the pump basin, then the pump isn't going to care how the toilet gets it's stuff there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
An "Up Pump" toilet is necessary only if the sewer that you tie into is above the toilet. So folks have a house with a basement where the sewer line goes out above the floor. Since water does not run uphill without a pump, they need a system to pump the waste up to the sewer line. The way I read your layout is that your house is basically a two story with a ground level and an upstairs and there is a toilet on the ground floor that you are going to replace. So there should be no problem, it's a simple one-for-one switch.

MOV

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

I think they were looking at the water supply pipe going up (instead of going into a rear wall, it goes vertically in plain view, up to the pipes in the ceiling).

Here's a picture. We don't know what kind of flush the old toilet has, but we're pretty positive you're all right in that the sewer line is below ground and the toilet does not flush up. :) Thanks again.

Now we just have one other problem to worry about... :(

Attachments

• watersupply.jpg
    watersupply.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 677
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks