Toilet started clogging all of a sudden

Users who are viewing this thread

Dripdrip

Reaction score
Hi. We have a Crane low-flow toilet that recently started clogging all of a sudden. I think it's about 5 to 10 years old.

We hadn't had any problems with it until maybe 2 weeks ago. It clogs a lot now.

After snaking it with an auger, I poured about 15 gallons of water down it, so I don't think the line is plugged.

I hate to be gross but could it be that its main user, my growing son, has bigger bowel movements now and that is why it's happening all of a sudden?

Time for a better toilet?

Thanks,

DD

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would guess that somebody dropped an object in the bowl and didn't retrieve it. Once that is removed, you should be fine. Sometimes you have to pull the bowl and auger from the exit, and push it out from where it came.

imac567

Reaction score
I had a toilet that wouldn't flush anymore and I snaked it, plunged it and checked the line, and it was clear. Then another one started doing it that was only 6 years old, I took it outside and plugged the bottom off and poured a gallon of muriatic acid in it then filled it the rest of the way with water. It bubbled and smoked for a day and it was nasty! BUT, that toilet is like new! Toilets don't wear out, they just become jammed up with lime scale, and I have well water so it's even worse. WARNING- muriatic acid is dangerous! It will burn you! I did out on top of a gravel covered area and washed it down with a garden hose. If I had thought of it earlier I could have saved the first toilet. It can be done in place too if you're crafty, but the smell is horrible.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; poured a gallon of muriatic acid in it then filled it the rest of the way with water

You NEVER add water TO acid. You put the water in first then the acid. But you could have done the same thing without taking the toilet off the floor. I do it all the time.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As Terry said, if this happened all of a sudden, it is much more likely it has something caught in the trapway than limed up passageways. Acid tends to be denser than water. If you pour water into an acid solution, the water may sit on the top and not mix. This can make a mess of things. Adding the acid to the water means it flows into the water and mixes. You can get some really nasty reactions if you don't do it properly - always be very careful with acids and use proper safety equipmnt.

imac567

Reaction score
The first toilet HAD to come out, the lime scale was 3/8" thick all the way through to the bottom of the trap, after that I do them in place without letting the acid get past the trap. How much muriatic acid can go into a septic tank without killing the bacteria in it?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks