(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Lav plumbing question

Hybrid View

Default Lav plumbing question

Hello, I've been lurking for a while and now it's time to tackle a project of my own.

I would like to locate a Lav in this space. I would like to run the vent vertical in the wall to the left of the window. Question is, can I get there with the trap arm? Can there be a 90* bend in the trap arm and can it extend roughly 60"?

The plan is to have the plumbing concealed under that window with a short wall then it will enter the vanity console from the side.

Thanks!

Last edited by r0bh3; 12-03-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A 1.5" lav drain can be 42" to the vent.
    You can go 60" with a 2" trap arm.

What you are trying there looks a bit dicey. I can't think of seeing it done that way in the last 38 years of plumbing. I would move the plumber closer to the lav drain.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    A 1.5" lav drain can be 42" to the vent.
    You can go 60" with a 2" trap arm.

What you are trying there looks a bit dicey. I can't think of seeing it done that way in the last 38 years of plumbing. I would move the plumber closer to the lav drain.
    Thanks Terry, I guess I thought I was 'pushing' it a little with this design, hence the reason for the question. You say, move the plumber closer to lav drain, do you mean the vent fitting?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes, the vent fitting.

Quote Originally Posted by r0bh3 View Post
    Thanks Terry, I guess I thought I was 'pushing' it a little with this design, hence the reason for the question. You say, move the plumber closer to lav drain, do you mean the vent fitting?
    I think terry means move the waste pipe closer...not necessarily an easy DIY job. Besides the vent issue...which you could deal with by taking off a vent and running it up and above the window....you would have potential clogging issues with a long trap arm. Unless you were very careful to have slope....assuming you used a 2" drain and it did not exceed 60" then you would have to drop an inch and a quarter . A plumber looking at your house ( the parts we can't see!!) might have better ideas.

Understood, thanks for the replies.

I know these drawings aren't great but here is a little more info. 3" main waste line runs here just under floor in basement, there is a WC about 4' downstream from where I want to tie the Lav drain in, and a shower drain about 1' upstream. Would adding a vent where the yellow line, running it up and over ceiling and tying into existing vent in attic help at all?

Yes, but then you would NOT need the "red one" on the left side of your drawing.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber