Thermostatic valve - Only cold water, valve does not call for hot water

Users who are viewing this thread

psperanza

Reaction score
I've searched all over the net, and I cannot seem to find anyone with the exact same problem. I have found similar problems, but this seems to be a little unique. I am not certain if my plumber crossed the lines on the install, but i was wondering if there was any other troubleshooting for this problem. Basically, when the shower is turned on, the pressure is just fine, but it does not call for hot water. I use a tankless water heater, and it does not fire up when the shower is turned on. Only ice cold water will come out, not matter where I set the thermostatic valve. After trying a thousand different things, we realized that if I manually cut off the cold supply to the shower (by closing the shut off valve), and leave only the hot running to it, then I will get scalding hot water only. I cannot seem to get it to mix at all. Is this a symptom of reversing the hot and cold lines running to the valve? Or could it be anything else? Thanks in advance for your help.

BTW, it is an Aquabrass 1/2" thermostatic valve

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a problem in the valve itself, but without being there and doing our own troubleshooting, we cannot tell you exactly what the problem is. The "apparent" problem seems to be that even when calling for just hot water, the flow is not adequate to cause the burner to turn on. This COULD be caused by reversed connections. IF this were the case, when the valve is trying to get "hot" water but the water is cold, it shuts down the "cold" side, which would actually be hot and just gets colder. I this is the situation, then it is usually just a case of reversing the control unit.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sometimes the tankless systems have lower pressure/volume through them than the cold, and that pressure/volume difference can disrupt the operation of a themostatic valve. I'd verify it is plumbed properly first, though. Some valves all you need to do is rotate the cartridge 180-degrees as HJ indicated, some would require replumbing or maybe they have a 'reversed' cartridge available.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks