(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Need pro's opinion on damage, etc...

Hybrid View

Default Need pro's opinion on damage, etc...

I purchased my own heat pump and air handler online and had a local contractor install it. When brazing the lineset end near the air handler, the installer doing the brazing didn't have any wet rags or spray around the inside or outside of the unit. The foreman stopped him from brazing (he had already brazed the elbow-so 1300 F was applied to tube) and had him spray it down, It sizzled pretty good and for quite awhile. I could see the look off concern on the foremans face, no mistaking that. I don't know if they pulled the sensing bulb away or not because I didn't get a chance to look inside before the job was finished and covers put back on.

After they left I looked inside and discovered a big gash in the cooling fins on the A-Coil. See attached pics. They did have the coil out and had removed the horizontal drip pan. Someone did the deed and stuck the A-coil back in hoping I wouldn't notice I guess.

Anyone care to comment about all of this and assess my pics and severity of the damage to fins and possibly to TXV valve? Can you ascertain anything from the heat marks on the tube?

Thanks guys...

PS. Yes they did use nitrogen and evacuated the lines before filling with Puron.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Did they run a bleed of nitrogen through the lines WHILE brazing?

Not to pick on you, but when you buy your own equipment you are taking money out of the contractor's pocket. Many guys won't touch it. And you do realize you have no labor warranty if the equipment fails within its warranty...5 to 10 years!

Of course he should warrant his install ( tail light warranty?). Hard to evaluate the photos. Might be time to have a heart-to-heart sit down with him. Possibly offer him some more $$$ to come over and check things, make it right as necessary.

What brand did you get? Buying on line is always a crapshoot.

How can I "take" money out of the contractors pocket when I didn't put it there in the first place?. I simply called around and find someone who agreed to install it "time and materials". yes I realize I have no labor warranty. I am ok with paying for labor if something goes wrong. I don't have labor warranty on someone fixing my car or fixing my house. Just pay it out pocket when it's needed. I do alot of my own work, plumbing, electrical and some car repairs (try to stay away from doing things requiring under the vehicle, seems like cars have lowered themselves since I was in my twenties, or is it im fatter now?) I do my own oil and tranny fluid changes. I have noticed myself slowing down once I hit 40 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    Did they run a bleed of nitrogen through the lines WHILE brazing?

Not to pick on you, but when you buy your own equipment you are taking money out of the contractor's pocket. Many guys won't touch it. And you do realize you have no labor warranty if the equipment fails within its warranty...5 to 10 years!

Of course he should warrant his install ( tail light warranty?). Hard to evaluate the photos. Might be time to have a heart-to-heart sit down with him. Possibly offer him some more $$$ to come over and check things, make it right as necessary.

What brand did you get? Buying on line is always a crapshoot.

Quote Originally Posted by jfls49 View Post
    How can I "take" money out of the contractors pocket when I didn't put it there in the first place?. I simply called around and find someone who agreed to install it "time and materials". yes I realize I have no labor warranty. I am ok with paying for labor if something goes wrong. I don't have labor warranty on someone fixing my car or fixing my house. Just pay it out pocket when it's needed. I do alot of my own work, plumbing, electrical and some car repairs (try to stay away from doing things requiring under the vehicle, seems like cars have lowered themselves since I was in my twenties, or is it im fatter now?) I do my own oil and tranny fluid changes. I have noticed myself slowing down once I hit 40 years old.
    For many contractors, a large part of their profit on the business is SELLLING equipment. If your guy agrees to t&m for an install, more power to you. I understand the whole theory of risk/reward on warranties. I seldom purchase any extended...
    But if your compressor goes out, the labor on that will approach the cost of a new unit!