New install -- copper closet bend

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be installing a new toilet. I need to cross a 2x10 joist with the toilet drain. Max hole size, per code in a 2x10 would be 3-1/16 inches. I'm planning to double up the joist, but for PVC, hole size needs to be 3-1/2+ inches whereas copper can be 3-1/8+ inches. I'm leaning towards the copper as the hole size is smaller. As soon as I come down from the toilet, I'll elbow over and go through the joist, transition to PVC and then I will elbow again to follow parallel to the joist. Sound good?

As it happens, I have a good length of 3" copper with a 90 degree already elbow in it--I was planning on reusing this. It's dimensions appears to be a NIBCO 907-3 wrot elbow. This will essentially be my closet bend. Is this okay? As soon as I transition to PVC, I'll use a banded rubber coupling to transition to a long sweeping PVC elbow...

What type of flange would I use on this pipe and can I attach it after the flooring is in place?

(Editted: I've added a drawing showing this in section): View attachment Master Bath Toilet Drain Section.pdf

Thanks,
Jason

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Jason, you will have to get a brass/copper toilet flange and you may need a short piece of pipe to go to the 90, then, you will have to solder it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks