Fin tube Installation Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Eric3872

Reaction score
I am replacing a single tube hot water baseboard with a two tier unit unit in my kitchen. The supply comes from above on the right side and the return is on the left going down to the floor below. If I have a two tiered setup, should the supply be split to feed each tube simultaneously, or is it better to supply the top unit and then snake back to the lower tier? Setup is 3/4" pex and 3/4" copper fin tube element. I'm assuming if the supply is split then the flow to each tube would be reduced by half.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If you are feeding a 3/4" copper fin tube unit with 3/4" PEX, which is really a smaller tube. WHAT is going to induce the water to flow thru the upper coil when the lower one is already larger than your supply line? With your design, the ONLY way to insure flow through the second tier is to either create an "obstruction" for the lower one, (reducing the connection to 1/2" might not be enough because the PEX is not much larger than 1/2" copper), so water HAS to divert to the other one, or tie them together as a single run with the feed and return at the same end.

Eric3872

Reaction score
If you are feeding a 3/4" copper fin tube unit with 3/4" PEX, which is really a smaller tube. WHAT is going to induce the water to flow thru the upper coil when the lower one is already larger than your supply line? With your design, the ONLY way to insure flow through the second tier is to either create an "obstruction" for the lower one, (reducing the connection to 1/2" might not be enough because the PEX is not much larger than 1/2" copper), so water HAS to divert to the other one, or tie them together as a single run with the feed and return at the same end.

Thanks for the reply. I haven't gotten around to doing this yet. The existing supply is actually 1" PEX. Not sure what you mean by connect them as a single run. The supply is from the floor above, so the top tier would be fed first, or they'd both be fed simultaneously. My initial thought was to feed the top tier first from the existing supply and then connect the lower tier from the return of the upper. I'm going to replace the fin tube element so I can size them as necessary. Would you suggest a 3/4" element?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks