Need advice/recommendations on stationary and hand-held shower heads

Users who are viewing this thread

CindyJ

Reaction score
We're installing a new faucet and shower heads in an existing shower. We don't presently have a hand-held shower head, but we'd like to add one on a slide bar using a 3-port diverter system. This is by no means a top-of-the-line bathroom, and I'm not looking for high-end products, only products that will function well, look good and hold up well over time. I don't know where/how to begin narrowing my options, so I thought this would be a good place. What are the brands/models I should be considering? What other considerations I should be thinking about? Thanks!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
NOne of them are what you would call "top of the line", because almost all of them are made of plastic. This being the case, all you have to do is visit bath stores, big box stores, and plumbing showrooms to see what looks good to you.

CindyJ

Reaction score
NOne of them are what you would call "top of the line", because almost all of them are made of plastic. This being the case, all you have to do is visit bath stores, big box stores, and plumbing showrooms to see what looks good to you.

So are you saying that the quality is the same from one brand to another, and it all comes down to which one's appearance I prefer?

CindyJ

Reaction score
Another question -- I was envisioning having a 3-port diverter, but my plumber is recommending using the Moen A720 Shower Arm Diverter. I know the Moen part is a lot easier (and therefore less costly) to install, and maybe that's why he's recommending it, but does installing the 3-port diverter really require that much more piping and labor?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It goes inside the wall so I am not sure how much time, labor, or cost is involved, but it will DEFINITELY be more expensive than the shower arm diverter. The only real benefit to the 3 port diverter is that you can make the connection for the hand held anywhere on the wall you want to put it, (assuming you do not mind making a lot of wall repairs).

CindyJ

Reaction score
It goes inside the wall so I am not sure how much time, labor, or cost is involved, but it will DEFINITELY be more expensive than the shower arm diverter. The only real benefit to the 3 port diverter is that you can make the connection for the hand held anywhere on the wall you want to put it, (assuming you do not mind making a lot of wall repairs).

Prior to installing the new shower faucet and shower heads, my entire house will be repiped. We're switching from copper to CPVC. We learned the hard and EXPENSIVE way that copper pipes + low pH water = disaster. A portion of the wall in back of the shower will be removed for the repiping, so the plumber will have easy access to the pipes for the shower components.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks