Ferrule for polyethylene compression fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
I have a 1/4" polyethylene line running to my fridge to supply the ice maker. It's routed behind some molding, so I need to stick with polyethylene. The polyethylene was connected to a push-in type plastic connector that cracked, resulting in a leak. The plastic push-in connecter had a union that was screwed into a standard stainless ice-maker line with an o-ring fitting.

I want to eliminate the plastic fitting to preclude any future failure as a result of cracking, so I purchased a 1/4" brass compression fitting and the brass insert for to prevent the polyethylene line from crushing.

My concern is with regard to the ferrule. The brass compression fitting has an integrated brass ferrule. Is this acceptable for polyethylene line or do I need to buy a brass fitting without an integrated ferrule and use a Derlin ferrule for the polyethylene?

The polyethylene did blow-out of the compression fitting the first time I turned the water back on but I assume I just hadn't tightened it down sufficiently or seated it properly. It's back together and not leaking but I'm concerned about longevity.

Thanks.

Tipsy

IMAG0485.jpg

IMAG0486.jpg

Done.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, don't use tape on compression fittings!

As long as the OD of the ferrule is correct for the tubing in use, it should work. Same with any compression fitting, it must be tight enough to hold, but not so tight that it deforms the tubing excessively...there's a happy medium in there that will work and be reliable.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The "captive" ferrule is called an "all material" one so it is for use on PE tubing also. The original one cracked because someone violated the rule that you do NOT screw a metal fitting into ta female plastic adapter. Doing that will almost ALWAYS cause a cracked fitting.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
The "captive" ferrule is called an "all material" one so it is for use on PE tubing also. The original one cracked because someone violated the rule that you do NOT screw a metal fitting into ta female plastic adapter. Doing that will almost ALWAYS cause a cracked fitting.
Didn't know that about the ferrule. Thanks. It seems to be holding well.

With regard to the plastic cracking, it lasted ten years, so not bad I guess :)

Tipsy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks