Richmond Rheem and whoever else - Model: RTG-74 PVN -- make and opinions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an opportunity to purchase a used Model: RTG-74 PVN
It is pictured as a Richmond Unit, but as I found below this is made by someone and imported by several manf. it seems.

Brand Models
Paloma PTG-74PVN; PTG-74PVP; PTG-74PVN-1; PTG-74PVP-1; PTG-74PVNH; PTG-74PVPH; PTG-74PVNUH; PTG-74PVPUH and PH-28RIFSN; PH-28RIFSP; PH-28RIFSN-1; PH-28RIFSP-1; PH-28CIFSN; PH-28CIFSP; PH-28CIFSN-1; PH-28CIFSP-1
Rheem RTG-74PVN; RTG-74PVP; RTG-74PVN-1; RTG-74PVP-1
Ruud RUTG-74PVN; RUTG-74PVP; RUTG-74PVN-1; RUTG-74PVP-1
Rheem-Ruud GT-199PV-N; GT-199PV-P; GT-199PV-N-1; GT-199PV-P-1
Richmond RMTG-74PVN; RMTG-74PVP; RMTG-74PVN-1; RMTG-74PVP-1; RMTG-74PVNH; RMTG-74PVPH; RMTG-74PVNUH; RMTG-74PVPUH

Supposedly this unit has only been in use for 6 months and the sellers are selling the house and the new owners are going all electric in the house.
Any way... they are asking $300 and I have not been able to find much on these units.
I see both positive and negative reviews.
Who actually made these and are they decent units?

I have a 10 year old Aquastar 240 fx ( bought out by Bosch) unit that is starting leak in the heat exchanger and need to get something else soon before mine dies completely.

http://images.craigslist.org/3E23L13m35Ne5Ke5M3cbo3e78fb0e81d01fb4.jpg

thanks Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Paloma Industries is the (japanese) parent company of Rheem/Ruud/Richmond. They make a good product.

You are better off with a powerball ticket than buying a used WH of 'the list' or 'the bay'

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You also need to determine that you have a gas line sufficient to supply the heater. Unless the house was designed for a tankless heater, it likely isn't big enough.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; You also need to determine that you have a gas line sufficient to supply the heater.

In addition, the flue usually has to be stainless steel, not aluminum "B" vent, which can get expensive very quickly if it has to make turns or go through multiple floors to the roof.

Killer95Stang

Reaction score
I went through a tankless retro-fit in my 1961 house about 7 months ago. It involved re-piping my main gas line from the meter to the unit, to supply the units 199K btu requirement. I bought the Rheem High Efficiency Condensing unit, which allowed me to use 3" PVC for the intake and exhaust vents. The difference in not needing the stainless vent pipe, paid for the upgrade for the high efficiency unit. Although the payback will probably be about 16-20 years since its only two of us, their is nothing like having unlimited hot water, no matter how many people take a shower. Plus, we went from $15-$20 gas bills in CA, to averaging around $8.00 per month for gas.

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
quote; You also need to determine that you have a gas line sufficient to supply the heater.

In addition, the flue usually has to be stainless steel, not aluminum "B" vent, which can get expensive very quickly if it has to make turns or go through multiple floors to the roof.

I already have a 1 1/4 main going about 65-70 feet then a 3/4" 5 foot run going to my existing tankless water heater.
My meter is upgraded - 2 times actually... I have a pool heater to :) with a 2 pound separate 1/2" line running to it.

My current unit is 165K so going to 199K would be no issue.
There is also a Noritz on the CL that was never installed and has never been warranty registered...it is 250K.

My current unit uses some single wall pipe going through a collar, as recommended by Aquastar, out the wall... run is about 2-3 feet total.
So piping this unit out is not a deal breaker.

thanks for the input so far...trying to find the best unit for me before my leaking one dies completely.
Kevin

Last edited:

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
Which model Noritz?

I have a line on a N-0931M-ASME model.
I have found out it is a 2007.11 model year.

It is brand new, never installed and Stephanie at Noritz said it would have the full warranty available.
She also noted that it is basically the same model as the N111 models that they sell today and nothing substantial has changed engineering wise.

The problem is that It would need a NG conversion kit as it is currently setup to run on propane.
That kit must be purchased from Noritz directly and is 220 plus shipping in order to keep the warranty in tact.

The seller is down to $700 for the unit already.... If it did not need the conversion kit I would have bought it...but would like to get it a bit lower if possible.
Regardless I guess the 700 plus 220 about half price of a new unit.

thoughts???

thanks Kevin

Lifespeed

Reaction score
The NRC111 is an excellent unit with a large heat exchange and minimal pressure drop at high flow rates. If one looks carefully at tankless specifications, this is their achilles heel. They list various temperature rise at Gallons Per Minute. If you look only at this spec, and not the pressure drop, a few different models appear that they might do the job for an application.

However, if you want high flow and low pressure drop only the large Nortiz will accomplish this. I am unaware of a downside to using a model larger than necessary, as they only burn the gas required to heat the water demand.

So get the large Noritz. That said, the NRC111 has been replaced by the NRC1111 and is about $1550 brand new if you get a good deal. So you're deal for about $1K on a 6 year old model may not be that great.

Read the specs - flow vs pressure drop.

Haeffnkr

Reaction score
Well.....

I found someone on CL selling brand new Aquastar 240fx - just like my current unit.
I figured for a good deal and the fact that this will drop right in to my current plumbing/mounting/venting setup I should look at it. I also am familiar with the maintenance and cleaning the flame rod procedure.

For $200 I picked it up and ran away, the original one cost me $1000 ten years ago.
If I can get anywhere close to another 10 years out of this one I will be happy and I have spare parts to use if needed.

I can "upgrade" on my next waterheater :)

thanks for all the comments, Kevin

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks