(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Toto Guineveres Just Don't Work *Replace With Drake?

Default Toto Guineveres Just Don't Work *Replace With Drake?

Arrrgh! In 2010 I replaced two Crane Drexel toilets from 1950, original equipment in my house, with two Toto Guineveres. The installation craftsmanship was top-notch (thanks, Terry & Co!) but the damn things just don't get the job done, by design. Bowl cleaning isn't just inadequate, it's nonexistent. Multiple "hold the lever down" full-tank flushes and/or a slosh of Simple Green and a scrub with the bowl brush are required each and every time, which eats up (and then some) the savings on reduced water usage. We've tried lots of tricks and tips; nothing's made them work acceptably, and my patience is past its end. I'll be taking my gripe to Toto (again) to see if they'll step up and make good on their philosophy.

What should I seek as replacements for these Guineveres? How about Drakes, will they really be better? They seem to get good ratings and reviews for both waste removal and bowl cleaning. Does anyone (Terry?) know if they can be had in Toto's #04 grey color?

Thanks in advance!

Crane Drexel
    Last edited by Terry; 11-28-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: added Drexel link

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Do the toilets you have include SanaGloss? That can really help. It's not available in every color, so that may be the missing part. The II versions of the toilets have the dual cyclone bowl wash, which improves on things, but Sanagloss really does make a difference, regardless. Some peoples' diets can result in very different end results when using a toilet as can how you sit on the thing. Ideally, you sit way back, which directs most stuff into the water spot, rather than the front slope, and that helps keep things cleaner.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

There is not a toilet made since 1992 that is going to replace the 1949 Crane Drexel.
    All new toilets use 1.6 gallons or less. It's been that way for twenty years. If you hold the handle on the newer toilets, you can get as much as 2.5 gallons. But even then, nothing like the swimming pool of the Crane Drexel and the huge water storage tank that goes with it.

Crane Drexel

Last edited by Terry; 11-28-2012 at 02:47 PM.

I should've asked a simpler, more direct question: Does the Drake have better bowl wash than the Guinevere?

(point by point: Yes, the Guineveres have Sanagloss. No, those Drexels were overdue when they were replaced, and they flushed sluggishly. Their good bowl cleaning had more to do with their large water pool preventing bowl soiling. And no, it's not a dietary thing; the Guineveres wash inadequately no matter who uses them or what s/he has been eating.)

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Drake II is similar to the Guinevere in rinsing
    My GF thinks the Drake II is self cleaning, but that's just because it replaced a Glacier Bay. It still needs the brush every so often. What you have now, is like what she has.

The original Drake is similar in rinsing except that the rinse comes straight down the bowl, instead of swirling.

One day I got a call from someone talking about a bowl with blades in it. Just the thought of blades was a scary thought. Was he thinking like wiper blades? Or like mower blades?
    Last edited by Terry; 11-29-2012 at 06:00 PM.