Multiple Water Heater Hook Up

Users who are viewing this thread

dripdrop

Reaction score
hi. i have a commercial establishment that requires additional BTU's.

my plumber has the following design:
- use 2 water heaters; 40 gallon & 65 gallon
- each water heater to service 2 different "zones"
- main water line comes in and 'T's' off to each water heater
- hot and cold water supply lines from 40 gallon water heater goes to zone 1
- hot and cold water supply lines from 65 gallon water heater goes to zone 2

please review diagram attached and let me know if this is a feasible solution.
thanks again!

Attachments

• water heater diagram.jpg
    water heater diagram.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 845

Towers Plumbing

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure what your distances are but you might consider a 50G 50K BTU or 60/60 to do the same job. Bradford makes a 55 gallon 80k BTU heater that has a 200 gallon for first hour delivery rating. Heaters are more but still might be less than two water heaters and repiping.

dripdrop

Reaction score
thanks for the reply towers.

i actually have all the material onsite. i'm more concerned with the design illustrated in my original post. will this design work?
thanks again!

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
- main water line comes in and 'T's' off to each water heater
- hot ... from 40 gallon water heater goes to zone 1
- hot ... from 65 gallon water heater goes to zone 2
Each zone should get hot water if the line supplying the heaters is sufficient and if the main line that also supplies cold water to each zone is sufficient. But in my own case, our water heater is somehow the last to be supplied and we end up with little hot water in the bathroom whenever water is being demanded anywhere else.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a "no brainer". Give BOTH zones the maximum BTUs. Connect the two zones together, then pipe the cold water into one of the heaters, it is immaterial which one, then the hot of that heater to the inlet of the other one, and finally the outlet of that heater to the connection to both zones. This way you do not have to worry about either zone needing more hot water than ITS heater could supply. The only possible downside, is that if the zones require different water temperatures, then you use a temperature control mixing valve on the zone requiring lower temperatures.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take HJ'S plan but use the same size water heaters and plumb them both cold water in
and hot water out this gives you maximum btu's and tank storage plus if one goes down
you can bypass it and still get by on the other heater
this is per ALL Mfg's install specifications !
PHD IN WATER HEATEROLGY
LICENSED SERVICE AGENT FOR ALL BRANDS

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In "parallel" works as long as you can convince the cold water to flow through both of them equally. That ONLY happens when the flow rate is high enough so that it has to flow through both. In "series" the water ALWAYS has to flow through both and it makes no difference if the heaters are the same or not. Two ball valves and two "3 way valves" can isolate series heaters, (Doing it with parallel installations requires four ball valves), and the first one will usually fail first so you make it the cheapest one of the pair. With parallel, when one fails, the replacement will NEVER have the same dynamics as the remaining heater so it will disrupt the supposed equal flow, unless you replace both of them at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks