Connecting 3/8" PEX to a standard water shutoff

Users who are viewing this thread

ddmoit

Reaction score
Hi folks. I just moved to Tennessee from Michigan. I'm installing an under sink water filter. It's a unit that uses 3/8" PEX on both ends. The connection piece that they gave me to connect to my cold supply is useless for my circumstance. What's the best way to connect PEX to a standard cold water shutoff valve without using special tools? Can I use an old fashioned nylon compression fitting like the ones commonly used for ice maker connections?

Thanks for your attention.

ddmoit

Reaction score
Do I sense an impending qualifying statement, or am I reading too much into the trailing periods?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
What is wrong with the connection they gave you? There is no such thing as a "standard cold water shutoff valve", because there are many types of cold water shut off valves.

ddmoit

Reaction score
IMG_8123.JPG This is what was provided.

IMG_8097.jpg This is what I have. It fit my new Delta faucet perfectly. I can add a splitter to the top of the shutoff valve to connect my faucet and the water filter.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The adapter looks to be 1/2" pipe threads x 3/8" OD.
Your shutoff is 3/8" comp or also considered 3/8" OD
You may want to pick up a double shutoff for the wall fitting
or a 3/8 comp x 3/8 comp x 3/8 comp tee for the top of your current shutoff.

add_a_tee.jpg

Last edited:

ddmoit

Reaction score
The triple 3/8 tee is what I ended up doing. I'm just concerned about the PEX compression fitting holding. I used a nylon ring, properly installed. I suppose it's no worse than the line going to the new Delta faucet. A leak would be bad in a hurry though.

IMG_8124.jpg

ddmoit

Reaction score
Yeah, I actually have one. In all the excitement of putting it together, I failed to use it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The inside sleeve provides a hard, smooth, round surface to support and mold the pex so the compression fitting will hold and seal properly. It is included for a reason, you should use it! The connection will be much more robust.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The connection Tee they gave you was to go between a "flexible hose" supply line and the 1/2" MIP threads on most conventional faucets. Delta, because of their DST versions no longer uses the MIP connection which is what caused your difficulty. The "Add-a-Tee" adapter you used is what I would have used also.

add_a_tee.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ddmoit

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Jim, I'll add the sleeve. I have a dishwasher to install in a few days, so I'll be under there again.

180pilot

Reaction score
Delta supplys no insert for DST Pex faucet installation?

The connection Tee they gave you was to go between a "flexible hose" supply line and the 1/2" MIP threads on most conventional faucets. Delta, because of their DST versions no longer uses the MIP connection which is what caused your difficulty. The "Add-a-Tee" adapter you used is what I would have used also.

add_a_tee.jpg

Installed new Delta DST kitchen faucet, and because supply lines were so long, I cut off the manufactured ends and opted to use the nylon compression rings supplied with the kit to 3/8" angle stop valve No insert is provided. Instructions say to turn compression nut 2 full turns after hand tightning, that seemed way too tight at first try, but hot water side let go within 15 min. flooding kitchen. I then retightened to much tighter and then removed tubing to see that nylon compression ring was crimping tubing. And did a pull test. I installed ring in correct manner and deburred end after cutting with standard tubing cutter. It's holding now, but I can't find any recommendation to use an insert inside Pex tubing except on your site here?????? It seems standard practice with softer polybutylene?????? A call to Delta, just produced a woman trying to blame me for not cutting tubing correctly!! I'm an aviation mech. and have been making tubing connections for 40 yrs. Tubing was cut square and deburred. Connection makes me nervious, I always turn off my outside incoming water valve when I leave home, because all my plumbing is 20 yrs old....

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; No insert is provided. Instructions say to turn compression nut 2 full turns after hand tightning, that seemed way too tight at first try, but hot water side let go within 15 min. flooding kitchen

You discovered the reason why I NEVER cut the manufacturer's supply lines. I just loop them to use the whole thing.

180pilot

Reaction score
I believe the Pex being so stiff, and wanting to stay curled was putting so much side load on the compression nut, it just felt as if it was getting tight against the sealing ring. At second try, I held the tubing so it was straight into the valve with no side load while tightening nut. All is well so far no leaks. But I'll confirm there were no inserts in the parts kit, nor did the instructions show any for the optional shortening of the lines. 9 days and Delta support still has no answer to my question. If I had it to do again, the unsightly under sink clutter looping of the very long amount of tubing would still be a consideration for me. I would think Delta had done some research on the two different methods before offering the option. I went to local hardware with piece of cut off Pex and tried to force a brass insert into it, it could not be done with just my hand and arm pressure against a hard surface as with the soft poly tubing. Are there special diameters of insert for 3/8 Pex??? If so my hardware store did not know of them.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks