Salty taste to water

Users who are viewing this thread

TerrySB

Reaction score
I have a Kinetico water softener, Model #60, since 1988. I have had no problems since I bought it. In the past weeks, the water has been tasting salty, too salty to drink and use. The drain line is clean. There is a mention that the head on the resin tanks could not be working correctly.

Can someone tell me what they think the problem can be? Can the head be changed out on the resin tanks and if so, what would the exact name of the part and part number be?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Have you checked the raw water for the same taste? If not you should put the softener in by pass and run water to all sink faucets for a few minutes to flush the lines and then at the kitchen sink, let it run for a few minutes and taste it. Or if you have your own well and can get water from the pressure tank to taste, do that.

If no salty taste then the most common cause of salty water is incomplete rinse, which since the drain line is not blocked or kinked should be eliminated as a potential cause, could mean there is too much salt being used to be successfully rinsed out in the length of time the rinse runs for. So is the water level in the salt tank the same as it used to be before the problem started or higher than normal? Maybe a drain line flow control button is partially blocked. If I'm right that would be inside the control valve on a Kinetico. Probably where the drain line connects to the valve. Let us know what you find.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks