Dishwasher/disposal wiring

Users who are viewing this thread

JMingrone

Reaction score
Do a disposal and DW HAVE to be on separate circuits? I have 2 circuits allocated for them, but one has plenty of capacity to run both. Can I simplify and run both off the one?

Also, Can the NM cable just come thru a hole in the sheetrock into the area where the sinkbase will be and after the sinkbase is installed, put a JB inside?

Thanks

-Jay

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depends...if the installation instructions call for separate circuits, you should use separate circuits. Disposers are available in at least up to 1Hp versions, which along with a DW that was heating the water, might overload the circuit. So, to preserve long-term potential changes and options, an extra circuit won't hurt.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
In some cases, if not MANY, since the disposer, (NOT "Disposal"), switch is combined with other switchs or outlets above the countertop level, it is wired into that circuit and the dishwasher is separate, even though the disposer and dishwasher share the same duplex outlet.

Big2bird

IBEW Electrician
Reaction score
I would run a 14/3 cable, feed it from a 2 pole 15 ampere breaker, and cut the tab between the upper/lower receptacle on the hot side.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks