(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Review Shower DWV Diagram Please - ready to install

Default Review Shower DWV Diagram Please - ready to install

Good Evening,

Thanks in advance!!

I'd like to know if what I represented would work, here are some notes:

1. ABS is 2"
    2. I'm going to remove the old P-trap from the vent and cap it in order to reutilize the vent for the new shower
    3. Can I utilize a 90 degree turn in the waste run from the p trap before the vent, did I say that correctly?
    4. Where the waste pipe meets the vent, do I need to use a T or a Y or does it matter?
    5. In order to get the slope I need, it seems to me that the pipe gets cemented in at a slight angle, is that correct?
    6. When installing the P-trap, does it rest on the drywall from the downstairs ceiling or is it slightly raised, not sure at what depth to seat the P-trap in relation to the joist and subfloor.
    7. What's best practice when installing the drain, do I cement a piece of pipe prior to subfloor install and cut after subfloor goes down or do I cement in drain pipe after subfloor.

Here is a picture:

Name:  showerDWVRoughIn.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  52.5 KB

Thanks,
    Rafael

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

1. ABS is 2"
    2. I'm going to remove the old P-trap from the vent and cap it in order to reutilize the vent for the new shower
    3. Can I utilize a 90 degree turn in the waste run.

You can have 135 degrees of change after the vent.

4. Where the waste pipe meets the vent, do I need to use a T or a Y or does it matter?

Most codes like a wye fitting in case someone tries to wet vent later on.

5. In order to get the slope I need, it seems to me that the pipe gets cemented in at a slight angle, is that correct?

Fittings are made with that angle built in. 2%

6. When installing the P-trap, does it rest on the drywall from the downstairs ceiling or is it slightly raised, not sure at what depth to seat the P-trap in relation to the joist and subfloor.

Once you have set the p-trap height, it drains down at a 2% slope toward the vent. No..........You can't monkey around with fittings and change that!

7. What's best practice when installing the drain, do I cement a piece of pipe prior to subfloor install and cut after subfloor goes down or do I cement in drain pipe after subfloor.

That depends on what you are using for a shower pan.

I have some follow up questions and have color coded them Green, thanks for the quick reply.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    1. ABS is 2"
    3. Can I utilize a 90 degree turn in the waste run.

You can have 135 degrees of change after the vent.

So is the 90 in the diagram before the vent allowed?

Most codes like a wye fitting in case someone tries to wet vent later on.

Fittings are made with that angle built in. 2%

Once you have set the p-trap height, it drains down at a 2% slope toward the vent. No..........You can't monkey around with fittings and change that!

Do I set the P-trap off the celing or rest it on the ceiling?

That depends on what you are using for a shower pan.
    I'm thinking of using pro-slope and then mud