Toto Drake Elongated vs Round in small space

Users who are viewing this thread

dbill

Reaction score
Hi all - As part of our bathroom remodel, I'm replacing our ancient Kohler low rider toilet with the Toto Drake CST454CEFG. As you can see from the picture, the current toilet front edge protrudes a bit into the door opening space and just grazes the door as it swings in.

I'm changing the door to a pocket door, but do I still have a concern with passing inspection if the Drake still sticks out? Distance from the doorway to the toilet center line is 20" in from the door opening, and the door is 28" wide. 20" in from the door, the elongated bowl of the Drake will stick out 1-1.5" into the door opening. This seems like it would be ok for walking past, especially with the pocket door - but maybe we're just used to sidestepping this monolithic Kohler.

Would this pass inspection? Or should I switch to the round bowl Drake? I'd really like to stick with the elongated bowl, but not if there's a code concern.

Thanks-
toilet.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Code requires 15" either side of the centerline of the toilet and 24" in front. It doesn't directly address any intrusion into the door space (that I know of, but that's definately not conclusive!).

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The CST454CEFG is the Drake II. It only comes in elongated. The CST743S or CST743E are the 1.6gpf and 1.28gpf round-bowl original Drakes, respectively. CST744S and CST744E are the elongated original Drakes.

The model number you named is a nice toilet, with eco-flush (1.28), dual-cyclone flush, CEFIONTECT, and Universal Height, all included.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
Code requires 15" either side of the centerline of the toilet and 24" in front. It doesn't directly address any intrusion into the door space (that I know of, but that's definately not conclusive!).
That picture is a bit distorted but I'm guessing that there isn't 15" to the wall. That can't apply to exsisting structures?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW IMHO, a typical elongated toilet seems smaller in a room verses a round one because it is smaller across at the front. ANy male in the house will appreciate it, and many women, too.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your space between the toilet and wall does appear to be less than code required 15", but that's what you have to work with. It might be wise to discuss this with your local inspector to see if this could be grandfathered. As noted, the slight extra space in front of the toilet will not really be a problem, so do go with the elongated bowl.

Wptski

Retired Machine Repairman
Reaction score
Your space between the toilet and wall does appear to be less than code required 15", but that's what you have to work with. It might be wise to discuss this with your local inspector to see if this could be grandfathered. As noted, the slight extra space in front of the toilet will not really be a problem, so do go with the elongated bowl.
Have you ever seen a situation where a local inspector didn't allow it to be grandfathered as codes may have changed over the years?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Please note that I stated you should check with your local inspector to see if this width problem can be grandfathered. If it can not, then you have a whole new problem. Obviously the existing toilet has be functioning for years at this width, but code does require 15" from toilet center to walls. You photo doesn't give a good perspective, so you should measure and see just what you really have.

stephenk

Reaction score
To the OP-

I would recommend you look into what codes your city uses and which code your bathroom would fall under. People here are talking about 24" clearances required in front of the toilet. My community still uses the 2009 International Residential Code for home bathrooms, which only requires a 21" clearance in front of a toilet. I dug up this picture from a website that makes the 2009 IRC available online.

Note - I'm no code expert, so contact your local officials for the final word.

Attachments

• 2009 IRC toilet.jpg
    2009 IRC toilet.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 5,418
Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks