I did it, ordered some POU shower filters!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
What could possibly come from a shower head that needs to be filtered? Are you not cooking and cleaning with the same water?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Actually, I feel it as improtant to remove chlorine from the shower. The shower steams and atomized the water into a vapor that you breathe into your lungs, an internal organ that is highly sensitive to oxidizing agents. Done on a daily basis, the cumulative long term affects can not be good for the lungs. Most shower filters use a combination of GAC, KDF, and sulfite reduction. All of these work very well.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
That's interesting. People spend hundreds of hours a year in heavily chlorinated pools and hot tubs, and I have never heard such a concern.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
But hot tubs and pools are rarely if ever in a small confined enclosed space like the average shower where chlorinated water is being sprayed at the people in them causing a visible mist in many cases. Also, many tubs don't use chlorine, they use bromine etc., and the chlorine in a pool is a different type than is used in water treatment and it somewhat resists evaporation.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Because you have never heard of a concern with swimming and bathing in chlorinated pools... research has been ongoing for many years as to the long term and short term health affects of chlorine exposure. I am not one to say you should not swim or shower, but I will definitely read and understand the studies. Alternatives to chlorine have been widely used and the health affects of these alternative treatments are also being studied. Copper, silver, bromine, ozone, UV, even KDF have all been widely used and all have their merits. Chlorine is cheap, effective, and important. Without it, pools would be nothing mnore than a dirty communal bath that is a fecal cesspool. Municipal and well supplies that have the potential for certain types of bacteria should be chlorinated, then dechlorinated prior to consummption and use.

Not recommended, but I have done it. Spray bleach into a shower to clean it (dont get it on the chrome), come back in three minutes and see how long you can stay in the bathroom without your eyes and lungs burning. Lower levels are not enough to cause this reaction, but a shower is the perfect place to atomize and maximize what little chlorine is in the water supply, maximizing your exposure to it.

Removing chlorine is cheap, simple, and highly recommended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks