What is this part?

Users who are viewing this thread

crankycowboy

Reaction score
Hey guys. First I need to give the disclaimer that I'm not a plumbing professional. I would say I'm an above average DIY guy who has taken on some large projects for myself. Recently my wife noticed the ground outside our house pretty wet. We had also noticed our water bill had gone up substantially. So I started to dig down where the ground was the wettest and found a valve box with a inline valve and some other sort of check valve, or some other kind of item in-line. whatever this is, has a couple pin holes in it. I am posting a picture because I'm wondering what it is. The repair is rather straight forward, I just don't know what I'm looking for as a replacement part. Any help is appreciated. Oh, by the way, this is right in front of my house just before the slab. photo.JPG

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
WHere is the water meter...I'm assuming with the leak and your increased bill, it's closer to the street. Often, before the meter, the city is responsible. I can't tell from the picture what you have. It could be a pressure reduction valve, a check valve, or, if you have a sprinkler system, maybe a backflow preventer.

crankycowboy

Reaction score
Meter is near the street. This leaking part is just in front of my house, right in front of the slab. On the back side of the leaking part (closest to the house) is another needle valve (just like one you would see at a faucet to turn on your water hose).

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A close up, in focus, and we'd have a better chance of identifying what's there.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
What ever it is seems like it should not be buried, If it is off of the main line.

It could be a shutoff valve that the city owns.

Most likely a watering system that was discontinued.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is a "lousy" picture so we can't tell much about it. A partial side view would also be better than a picture of their tops. Almost EVERYONE thinks they are an "above average" DIYer.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's what's left of a pressure reducing valve, the top bell having been rusted completely away.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
I think it's what's left of a pressure reducing valve, the top bell having been rusted completely away.

I think your are correct.

It seems kind of silly to bury it.

Only in the city I guess.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a PRV (pressure reducing valve), then it's time to replace it anyway. If you house is on a slab, you may need to find a way to enter the home with a new line from the meter. Old pipe can be useless to work with. What age is the home?
And the water district can tell you what the street pressure is. If it's over 80 PSI, then it needs a PRV.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
A PRV really should be located inside the house, and certainly not buried. It also might be a back flow prevention fixture for a sprinkler system. If that is what it is, it should not be buried either and should located where it can be tested by a certified inspection annually. The poor picture quality really leaves us guessing, but whatever it turns out to be, it should be replaced and as Terry points out, old galvanized pipe can be impossible to work with.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If it were a PRV with a missing top, he would not have any water, because it would have been the same as backing the screw all the way out for "zero" pressure. The "lower" item looks like the top of a broken gate valve which has been unscrewed from its body. But since it is a "lousy" picture we are all guessing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks