New blogger. How to wire a fan with light?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molly d

Reaction score
I replaced a ceiling fan and light with a new one. I have two switches on the wall one for the light, one for the fan. Fan works. Lights work pulling on the chain, but not on the wall switch. I put white to white, green to green, black to red, black to blue. I don't have the the instruction. Please help if you can.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Aparently you missed the wire from the light switch and connected the lights to a "hot" black wire. I do not know how you could have done that if you just removed one fan and replaced it with another one, but that is the only thing that makes sense, given your description. If both black wires were from switches, there is absolutely no way the lights could be on when both switches were "off".

Reaction score
Tough to say.

You have been turning the power off each time you open the system up?

Have you opened the switch box up and inspected how the switches are arranged?

Do so with the power off, please.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote;Have you opened the switch box up and inspected how the switches are arranged?

What difference would that make? If he did not open it when he replaced the fan then nothing in the switch box has changed, and any "miswiring" has to be in the fan's mounting box.He has to find a "switched" wire, which may or may not be black, at the fan and disconnect the light from a "hot" wire.

Last edited:
Reaction score
quote;Have you opened the switch box up and inspected how the switches are arranged?

What difference would that make? If he did not open it when he replaced the fan then nothing in the switch box has changed, and any "miswiring" has to be in the fan's mounting box.He has to find a "switched" wire, which may or may not be black, at the fan and disconnect the light from a "hot" wire.

I'm curious to see what is in there. I would certainly open it up if I were walking in at the top of the thread.

But if you have the solution please feel free to hand it over.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; But if you have the solution please feel free to hand it over

I have already posted the "solution" TWICE, but since I am not there I don't know how to tell him how to implement it without using a "Tic Tracer" to find the wire that is only energized when the switch is turned on.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks