(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your thoughts concerning this sink/dishwasher setup

You must have missed the part about a "direct connection" center outlet waste, because if you HAD used it the tee would have fit between it and the trap in the upright section.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I didn't miss that part. I purchased and used that direct connection, but there still wasn't quite enough room to place the dishwasher connection vertically. Between 1965 and now, the sink was changed from a single shallow basin to a double deep basin, and the rough in was installed very high. I trimmed the tail of that dishwasher connection down until the trap was bumping the drain hose nipple, and the trap outlet was still almost 3/4" too low.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I could see that the sink was now lower. That's becoming a big issue with the new granite counters and deep sinks.
    The new standard is 16" off the floor.

Was the direct connection waste brass tubing or plastic, because there is a difference as to how far down they install.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Plastic. I'd actually prefer brass, but it was special order. Go figure, eh?

I know that this strays a bit off of the plumbing topic, but since it is related to this repair work, I can't think of a more appropriate place for it...

The former residents of the wall cavity behind the dishwasher (rats, a PO's problem, and they are no longer present.) removed almost all of the insulation. I can easily replace two thirds of it with fiberglass batting, but there is an upper cabinet that I can't really get behind without pulling it down. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll be completing the plumbing work today, and would like to be able to button up the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by KAdams4458 View Post
    I know that this strays a bit off of the plumbing topic, but since it is related to this repair work, I can't think of a more appropriate place for it...

The former residents of the wall cavity behind the dishwasher (rats, a PO's problem, and they are no longer present.) removed almost all of the insulation. I can easily replace two thirds of it with fiberglass batting, but there is an upper cabinet that I can't really get behind without pulling it down. Anyone have any suggestions? I'll be completing the plumbing work today, and would like to be able to button up the wall.
    Is the cabinet above where you are working? Is there a fire block?
    If no fireblock, take a stick and shove it up there.
    If there is a fire block, drill a 1/4" hole at the rear top of the cabinet, and squirt in some expanding foam. Use only enough to fill half the cavity, as it will double in size as it expands. Too much, and it will blow the drywall off.