Venting system question from Eddie the Novice

Users who are viewing this thread

Eddie The Novice

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm glad I finally figured out how to use this message board. I've been visiting this website for a couple of years and learned a lot just by reading all the threads. Here's my situation. I am moving my washing machine and dryer to the garage. They are currently outside in the backyard. I'm in the process of plumbing the garage. I'm running the air vent up to the attic. I was going to shoot the vent pipe straight up out through the roof. Then I realized that you would see the vent from the street. I began to notice that many homes in my neighborhood have all the vents exiting the roof at the back of the house. Could this be a coincidence or do plumbers intentionally do this to avoid all these pipes from sticking out of the roof in the front of the house? If I decide to route the vent through the attic so it can exit through the back of the house, will the additional turns and length of the ABS pipe affect the efficiency of the venting system? Thank you in advance for your input.

Sincerely,
Eddie the Novice

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the horizontal is more then 1/3" the vertical, you have to go up one pipe size.
Most homes have the plumbing toward the back, thus that's where the vents are. How many kitchens have you seen facing the front street?
Or bathrooms for that matter. If when Plumbing, I'm near the centerline of the home, and I can jog a few feet to be at the back, I sometimes do that.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is a good idea to put the vents in the back. Try to keep the front roof clean. Above the top of your highest fixtures, it is fine to "jog" the vent pipe, just always keep it going UP. Never put a flat horizontal or back sloping pipe, because condensation and rain could fill that up.

Hate to ask where you are going to DRAIN the WM!~

Eddie The Novice

In the Trades
Reaction score
So I'm using 2 in ABS black pipe. When the pipe enters the attic, it jogs back nine feet toward the back of the house. After nine feet, it makes a ninety degree turn and exits the roof. The rise is about 2 feet. Does this mean that I should use a larger pipe because my jog was too long?

Eddie The Novice

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jimbo,
thanks, I didn't even consider the fact that rain water would come into the vent once it's on the roof. I ran the vent in the attic horizontal because I thought it would look more professional that way. I will go back up and angle it with a downward slope. Thank you so much. This sight is great.

Eddie The Novice

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jimbo,
After I finish the venting in the attic, I plan to run a 2 in. ABS pipe all the way to the other end to the house. I will hang the ABS pipe with a gradual incline until it reaches the main big pipe where everything drains out. The pipe looks like it's made of cast iron. It's black. I will splice into that four inch pipe. I think it will work. I'm sort of learning as I go along. I've read a lot of plumbing books for this project.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks