Wiring an Injector Pump into the Pump Switch

Users who are viewing this thread

TreeGuy

Reaction score
Greetings everyone and thank you in advance for any help -

So I have this inline injector pump that needs to be wired into my pressure tank pump switch. Power to the pump comes through a controller box. My injector pump is connected to an extension cord I made and runs 230v. Before I had this wired with a smaller wire extension cord and when it was hooked up the injector pump would run only after the pump switch turned off. Thinking it was wired incorrectly I switched the terminals only to find the injector pump never started up.

At this point (pictures) I have upgraded to an 8 gauge wire (which looks awfully wrong as I struggled to get it to fit under the screws). I was unable to find the same wires that ran from the power. At any rate I did a test run to see if the wire helped and to no avail, injector never turned on but pump switch worked perfectly.

Will I have to do something with the control box to get this done properly? I'm not going to leave it like the mess it is now. I was unable to get any useful information out of the seller/manufacturer except that all I needed to do was wire directly to the switch and ground it on the same exact ground.

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving.

Injector Pump

Last edited by a moderator:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah it isn't going to work like that, put the black #8 where the red wire is, and put the red where the black #8 was.

TreeGuy

Reaction score
Yeah it isn't going to work like that, put the black #8 where the red wire is, and put the red where the black #8 was.

So I rewired it and now only the injector pump runs when the pressure drops but my pressure tank never kicks on...

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
What is the pumps voltage? If the pump is a 230 volt unit, someone may have wired it to only utilize one side of the pressure switch.

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Show a picture of the control box, sounds like it is a deluxe control box with internal contactor, that may explain the initial pressure switch wiring. If this is the case, you need to wire the pressure switch back the way it was, and wire the injector pump to the load side of the 2 pole contactor in the control box.

TreeGuy

Reaction score
Show a picture of the control box, sounds like it is a deluxe control box with internal contactor, that may explain the initial pressure switch wiring. If this is the case, you need to wire the pressure switch back the way it was, and wire the injector pump to the load side of the 2 pole contactor in the control box.

IMAG0433.jpgIMAG0434.jpg

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Well, it's not a deluxe control box, and the wiring doesn't make any sense. Your options are to buy a deluxe box and wire the internal contactor like I said before (which would keep the pressure switch from carrying full load of the pumps), or rewire the box correctly. Start all over, load from breaker to outside most terminals of the pressure switch, then the two inner terminals on the ps will go to L1 and L2 inside the control box. Then yellow, black and red in box to the corresponding pump wires. This would be the correct way. To add the injector to the system, it would be easiest to tie in to L1 and L2 in the control box.

TreeGuy

Reaction score
Well, it's not a deluxe control box, and the wiring doesn't make any sense. Your options are to buy a deluxe box and wire the internal contactor like I said before (which would keep the pressure switch from carrying full load of the pumps), or rewire the box correctly. Start all over, load from breaker to outside most terminals of the pressure switch, then the two inner terminals on the ps will go to L1 and L2 inside the control box. Then yellow, black and red in box to the corresponding pump wires. This would be the correct way. To add the injector to the system, it would be easiest to tie in to L1 and L2 in the control box.

Do I face any potential hazards by allowing the pressure switch to carry the full load of the pumps?

If it is safe, where should the red and black from the main breaker be wired into on the control box panel? I think I understand everything else. I'll do a mock diagram because when I rewire it will have to be done correctly in one shot or my plants won't get water.

Tempted to call a well tech out... But I know I'm going to be slapped with a $500.00 bill.

I appreciate it. I need to stop listening to salesmen - just wire it right into the ps, like a piece of cake!

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Most pressure switches are rated to run full load of 2 hp pumps, so you should be fine...look under the cover to see what it says, it will tell you the rating. See my above post about how to wire; red and black from main breaker should NOT be connected directly into the control box. If you're unsure, call a pro....you have everything you need and it is a 3 minute fix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks