Dimmers on 3-way

Users who are viewing this thread

JMingrone

Reaction score
Right hj. This whole issue caught me a bit off guard. A few weeks back I confirmed there were products available called "3-way dimmers", then proceeded to do the electrical rough in, running the 3-conductor cables in the standard way, intending to use "regular old dimmers" like i've used dozens of times before. Then I had a 2 AM moment...how the heck was THAT going to work? The Master/Remote scheme is the answer. Thankfully it only needs the 3-conductor cable I installed. Live and learn.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
With the low-tech 3-way dimmers, when one end is dimmed, a toggle on the other end can do what it normally does, namely toggle on and off. With these same low-tech dimmers, whilst dimmed at one end, a dimmer at the other end can still toggle, just cannot control the dimness/brightness. It is not necessary to go back to the other dimmer to turn it off unless you have it dimmed to "almost off". The caveat is to not dim it to "almost off" but to click it to full off. It is a training issue.

I have several locations where we want to pretty much set the level and may leave it there, then toggle it on/off from the other end.

The lights over the bed is a good example. Whilst in bed, the dimmer near the bed controls how bright or dim it is. The toggle at the door simply toggles. There is more than just the one light switch at the door so if full light is needed in the bedroom, the other lights are available. If more light is needed above the bed, the dimmer there takes care of it.

Another example is the foyer outside the bedroom. The dimmer is at the MBR door and the toggle is at the other end of the foyer. In the morning, I set the light on dim so as to disturb the wife and to be easy on my eyes. It is at my door for convenience. Infrequent guests don't have the convenience but they do have a dimmer in their bedroom and can simply let that light spill out into the foyer if'n they don't want harsh bright light.

Yet another example is the stairway. I have toggles top and bottom and at a third location, a dimmer. The dimmer is pretty much set-and-forget, and the toggles are convenience.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
It may come down to "managed expectations". When I installed the low-tech dimmers at both ends, it was my expectation that the wife understood how they worked. Obviously I mismanaged her expectations. Her expectation was that when one side was dimmed, the other side could still vary the brightness.

When I replaced the noisy dimmers and opted to put toggles on the one end, it again was my expectation that by now, the wife understood the limitation of needing to set the dimmer to full off. Again, I mismanaged my expectation.

Some problems like this one can be solved by throwing more money at them. Some things not easily so. {sigh}

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
At least with the Lutron Maestro, one of the switches (the master) has LED's to indicate the relative dimming level so (if I remember correctly) at least one LED would be lit, regardless of the setting as an indication it was still on. I'm not home now, so can't check. HD (in the states) usually has one setup as a demo, and you could check it out yourself.

JMingrone

Reaction score
LL: I suppose if I was on Gilligan's Island, me and the professor could probably rig up the 3-way the way you suggest (probably with a couple coconut shells thrown in for good measure). But Lutron and others have already solved the problem, and the price ain't too bad.

Jim: Saw the Maestro at my local HD. I'll be picking up a couple sets soon

Thanks,

Jay

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks