Little help with pump motor

Users who are viewing this thread

tedder

Reaction score
Hey all. Nice place you have here. Attempting to switch this motor over from 110V to 220V for obvious reasons. Not sure why anyone would hook up a motor of this size (1HP) to 110V. Currently wired to panel to 15A single pole breaker on 14/2 copper.
New 15A double pole breaker purchased for 220V and installed in panel...and yes I wrapped the neutral wire with black tape! As you can see from the photo the wiring in the motor is set up for 110V.
I moved black wire from L2 (feed from pressure switch) to #4 terminal and violet wire from #4 to #3 terminal. Turned power on, motor just hummed and internal overload protection kicked the motor off. Obviously I'm missing something and hope some of you guru's can point me in the right direction.
Cheers
Tedder

Attachments

• motor_full.jpg
    motor_full.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 304

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Check to see if you've really got 220V at the motor. The breakers need to be on different busses in the box to give you 110V each but on a different phase.

Also the incoming lines, L1 and L2 do not move, only move the internal lines.

tedder

Reaction score
Check to see if you've really got 220V at the motor. The breakers need to be on different busses in the box to give you 110V each but on a different phase.

Also the incoming lines, L1 and L2 do not move, only move the internal lines.

Thanks for this. Yes it's a DP breaker in the panel so 110V on each wire. Based on what you are telling me I believe the violet wire needs to move to terminal 3 and the black wire (going to motor and not the feed wire) needs to be moved to where the violet wire WAS. L1 and L2 remain where they are.
Tedder

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just because it's a DP breaker does not guarantee that it is seeing 220VAC. Each breaker needs to be on a different leg of your incoming power, not just 110V on each leg but 110V out of phase with each other. Hard to explain, easy to measure or look at visual. Pull the breaker out (carefully, of course and shut down the main) and look at where it was stabbed. Each breaker needs to be stabbed on a different bus.

Good luck.

tedder

Reaction score
Just because it's a DP breaker does not guarantee that it is seeing 220VAC. Each breaker needs to be on a different leg of your incoming power, not just 110V on each leg but 110V out of phase with each other. Hard to explain, easy to measure or look at visual. Pull the breaker out (carefully, of course and shut down the main) and look at where it was stabbed. Each breaker needs to be stabbed on a different bus.

Good luck.
Looks like it is....with this panel I don't see how a DP breaker could NOT have 220V...one leg of 110V from each bus.
PS - Up and running fine on 220VAC. The key as you mentioned was leaving L1/L2 as is and just moving the violet and
black internal wires.
Appreciate your help

Attachments

• panelsm.jpg
    panelsm.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Measuring 220 between the two wires would be easier than opening the panel. Mentioning that you have 110 on each leg only raises doubts.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks