(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Simple answer is needed for no hot water

  1. #1

    Default Simple answer is needed for no hot water

    Hello,

    I think it shall be pretty simple for somebody to answer question below.
    I'm homeowner and moved into new house which was inspected prior to move in. It was indicated that there is no issues with plumbing.
    When we moved we found that no hot water was produced, I went upstairs and light would not stay on in any of the units for more then 5 mins (it'll die out on it's own). I called plumber he told me that both gas control valved needed to be replaced, which he did and it did in fact fixed the issue.
    Inspector made a statement below which I want to know your professional opinion on. Does below is actually true if gas control valves were not working properly and the rest of system worked fine (there were no leaks in system, if I opened "hot water" tap then water would flow but just would not be hot)


    During the time of our inspection, all fixtures were
    producing hot water. One of the important parts of our inspection is to
    make sure that hot and cold water spouts are not reversed as a safety
    measure. To do this there had to be hot water.
    Thanks,
    Greg
    Last edited by Terry; 11-22-2012 at 12:06 PM.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    21,396

    Default

    Water still can come out of the hot side if the WH isn't working, it just won't be hot! It's strange that (it sounds like you have more than one WH) they all stopped working at the same time.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Water still can come out of the hot side if the WH isn't working, it just won't be hot! It's strange that (it sounds like you have more than one WH) they all stopped working at the same time.
    Yes, and that's why I sued inspector for negligent work since it's unlikely both of then went out at the same time between inspection and day of move in, most likely he did not check if hot water produced at all and house was unoccupied both before and after inspection.
    So what you are saying is that their statement is wrong, hot water does not need to be produced to test if spouts are not reveresed, right?

  4. #4
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    9,001

    Default

    If the WH was working at some point, with no one taking showers the water in the tank would stay hot for a week

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member dlarrivee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    1,172

    Default

    Those must be expensive tanks if you you're suing the home inspector.

    I take it you're located in the US?

  6. #6
    DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    200 miles south of Little Rock
    Posts
    2,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Suvalian View Post
    ...I sued inspector for negligent work since it's unlikely both of then went out at the same time between inspection and day of move in, most likely he did not check if hot water produced at all and house was unoccupied both before and after inspection.
    As true as they might seem, I would guess your speculations of "unlikely" and "likely" will have to be proven before any judge is very likely to find the inspector actually negligent.

    Did you get any kind of repair insurance along with your purchase? The only "inspection" my wife and I ever got for a home we had purchased was a drive-by to be sure it was actually there, and we later used that insurance to have a defective breaker panel replaced and even upgraded.
    "Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events and small minds discuss people." --Eleanor Roosevelt

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leejosepho View Post
    As true as they might seem, I would guess your speculations of "unlikely" and "likely" will have to be proven before any judge is very likely to find the inspector actually negligent.

    Did you get any kind of repair insurance along with your purchase? The only "inspection" my wife and I ever got for a home we had purchased was a drive-by to be sure it was actually there, and we later used that insurance to have a defective breaker panel replaced and even upgraded.
    Well if average longevity of water heater is 10 years, I would assume probability of it's failing within 2 month between inspection and move in is 2 month/120 month is 1.6%, both of them failing at the same time is 1.6%*1.6% = 0.026% which is same chances as winning jackpot
    Replacing gas valve costed $1200 and this was in addition to a bunch of other things which failed during movein so small claims court is perfect avenue to recoup the costs.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you answer the question...
    By Cass in forum Computers and Stuff
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 04:19 PM
  2. Ok...I posted this and never got an answer...
    By abikerboy in forum Pumps and Tanks Well Forum & Blog
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 10:28 PM
  3. Answer buy a new one??
    By VAwife in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2007, 10:09 AM
  4. Is more insulation the answer here
    By DIY in forum HVAC Heating & Cooling
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM
  5. Need an answer soon
    By psal2 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-03-2005, 07:12 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •