Sta Rite MSE

Users who are viewing this thread

tndave

Reaction score
Sta Rite MSE runs constantly, but there is no water. Pressure gauge looks like it is pegged. I put some air in the tank (didn't think to check pressure first, but still no water with about 25 lbs. I don't see a plug to reprime the pump. Does it sound like the pump is shot? I hope not, used up all of our savings making mortgage payments.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
DD

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Prime it where the gauge goes, and check to make sure the gauge is not bad. MSE's are real bad about not pumping if there is even a small amount of air in the system. Once you get it going screw the regulator to 60 psi (that's the pressure feeding the jet). You can pull the plug on the bottom out to help prime faster, it lets the air out.

tndave

Reaction score
I typed that out real quick before heading to work last night (third shift) and didn't really have time to check it out or even think about it. I just got up an hour before work & couldn't take a shower & as I step out of the bathroom, I have three females saying "there's no water" almost in unison, lol. That gauge had me worried all night, but I got home this morning & it's still pegged, pulled it & it stays that way. Primed the pump & she fired right up & it's a good thing the horses were even out of water.

So, sounds like I have a leak somewhere. I've lived here seven years & this is the first time this has happened. I have no idea what kind of setup is at the foot.

Thanks!!
DD

tndave

Reaction score
I had found a book on that pump and it said to run in the regulator screw when priming. Well, it broke...it was all rusted up and had a lock nut. I loosened the lock nut a couple of turns & held it with a wrench while I tried to run in the screw. I probably only turned it one turn, so it seems ok for now, but I want to replace it and that gauge. The regulator is a little different than most, as the inlet & outlet are at 90 degrees. Does Lowe's have those or are they hard to find? Know of a good online supplier?

Thanks!!
DD

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
You need to go back with the same regulator, Lowe's or any other big box store will not have anything comprable.

Here is how to fix. Catch a little priming water first, then depressure and turn off the system/pump. First apply a little WD-40 or choice of lube to the backside. The threads go all the way through. Let them soak. Next carefully remove the 1/2" bolts. Be careful as these are the same rusty threads as broke on the adjustment screw. Also be aware that the assembly is now spring loaded and when you get to the last screw it may pop apart. Don't lose the spring or the washer. Once you get the regulator apart you should be able to easily remove the broke off adjustment screw with an ease out or drill it out and re-thread. Applying heat helps also. Examine the rubber diaphram of the regulator to make sure it's in good shape.

Here's a little wellman trick-take a hack-saw and cut notches into the plastic plunger, just enough to let a little water weep through. That will keep the pump from losing prime again unless you have a serious down-hole leak.

Apply a little anti-seize and re-assemble everything, making sure you back off on the adjustment screw to relase the tension in the spring. Once you've got everything tightened up you can tighten up the adjustment screw. On an MSE it needs to run at 60 psi with the pump running. This sets your jet pressure.

I always put a little anti-seize on the adjustment screws of jet pumps on install because something like this happens quite often. What happens is when the pump sits for a long while it loses a little prime and the regulator doesn't always allow the water in the tank to backflow into the pump to keep it liquid full. MSE's are quite suceptible to losing prime if they lose even a little bit of water.

It can be very difficult to remove the regulator from the pump. It has 1" cast-iron threads into the pump body and there is neither a good place to back-up the pump nor a good place to attach a wrench on the regulator. I have broken the cast-iron threads off the regulator, busted the pump, and I've even seen busted casings (PVC) and other things damaged. I would try this last. If nothing else just leave it alone, chances are it will work even with the adjustment screw seized up. Good luck.

2011216_stariteregulator2.jpg

Last edited:

tndave

Reaction score
Thanks Texas!!!!!!

I’m gonna leave it be for now & see what happens. If need be I’ll definitely take your advice. We are earning about a third of what we were in 2007 & have exhausted all savings & sold all of my toys & even necessities like my tractor just to keep the place. I need to fill the propane tank too, we’re down to about 5%....

Thanks Again!!!!
DD

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks