7000SXT rebuild tutorial

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
You'd have a tough time getting anything down into the tank through the 2.5" threaded hole in the top of the tank.

A thick piece of plexiglass used for glass replacement in windows, heated up enough to allow bending it to fit the outside curve of the tank and some closed foam or rubber automotive maybe seal material around the edge of the maybe 4-5" wide x 20" or so long cut out in the tank. Then a few large hose clamps would probably hold enough water pressure like 30 psi, to allow a person to see the internal action of the resin during a regeneration but only as a demo unit. Most any local water treatment dealer would from time to time have an old used tank they want to get rid of.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I would fit the acrylic window on the inside of the tank after cutting the hole -- no need to squeeze it thru the top of the tank. Rabbet a groove for an o-ring in the window, and tank pressure would actually help seal things, assuming the inside surface of the tank is smooth enough for a soft o-ring to mold against. Given the overall excitement about this, though, I guess it will remain a gedanken experiment.

ByteMe

Semi-Pure awesomeness!
Reaction score
I have seen some clear resin tanks on utube. Someone has got to have some for sell. Boozoo button to first person to find!

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Actually, the tank would not need to hold any pressure. It is a flow rate based regeneration, not pressure based. I design both open tank and closed system portable exchange tank regeneration plants, they both work just fine, and the backwash works the same. The turbulator... not too sure about that, but I dont see why it would not wark as well.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Yeah me too but I don't know how you'd get a piece of curved plastic that is larger than the cut out hole, through that hole and then, hold it in place while you pressurized the tank to hold it in place with water pressure. I guess if you could get it in the tank you could attach something to it on the outside so you could pull it against the inside of the tank until the pressure built up.

So how do you get the larger than the hole clear piece into the tank and keep the o-ring in place, when the clear piece doesn't bend, and then keep hold of it?

ditttohead

Reaction score
The cutaway tanks are miserable to make, but we have done many for dealers displays. Cut an oval hole in the side of the tank, spend too many hours trying to clean up the edge, or finally go to mcmaster and get edge guard. edge.png Then use some thin plexiglass and spend another hour with 2 part epoxy, glue it from the inside. Cut the epoxy just an inch or 2 larger than the side hole.

It can be wetted if it done correctly, I would not put more than a pound or 2 on it though. Again, this design does not need to handle pressure, only flow.

cutaway.jpg

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
I'm not following this part; Then use some thin plexiglass and spend another hour with 2 part epoxy, glue it from the inside. Cut the epoxy just an inch or 2 larger than the side hole.

You are gluing the plexiglass with epoxy and yet cutting the plexiglass 2" larger, and doing that on the inside of the tank?

For the visual of the effect of backwash, brine draw etc. you need at least 20 psi.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Backwash does not take any pressure to work. Like I said, I build open to atmosphere portable exchange tank regeneration systems. It only requires flow, it does not require an ability to hold pressure to get a proper 20-30% bed expansion on a resin bed. Same goes for the injector. The injector assembly requires some pressure, but the tank itself does not.

Try this, cut an oval out of paper, now cut another one 10% larger, see how easy it is to install it through the hole so that is can be mounted to the backside. Gluing it to the inside gives it a nicer look, and does not require that the plexiglass be perfectly cut. You may be thinking of a round hole, you would be correct in the assumption that it would not fit, square, rectangle, oval all work fine. That is why manhole covers are round. :)

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The ones I made were simply plexi that I gasket end and bolted through the tank using ss toilet tank bolts with the rubber gasket.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Dang, now I am thinking of building one. I have a trade show coming up in April, maybe I will design a new one for that show. We want to show off a new bottom screen design anyways. I will post pictures if I decide to make one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks