(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Let it mellow

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It doesn't bother me when people aren't flushing in other states, the prevailing winds are from West to East.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    You seem to be missing the point that if you add anything to the bowl it will raise the WL. If my WL is low, adding solids which if anything can be a problem to flush will naturally raise the WL closer to full and a better flushing action by your description.

As long as I don't postpone flushing to at/past the overflow point, I don't see a problem. I do have a good sense of smell and flush every time when I have visitors.
    I didn't miss your point...it all depends on how low it is, how many deposits are made, and when you end up flushing. By design, the flushing action works best if it is full when flushed. The only way to ensure that happens is if it is adjusted properly in the first place. Then, unless evaporation or the dog lower the level, it's going to be as good as it can get (and on some toilets, that's lousy, but that's another story altogether).
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Retired Machine Repairman wptski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    It doesn't bother me when people aren't flushing in other states, the prevailing winds are from West to East.
    If you have a sensitive nose, here's one for you.

Some years ago I was having a problem with a racoon getting into my plastic trash containers. I used bungee cords across the lids but then it tried chewing its way in. Did some searching and found a site for solutions to critter problems. It seems that the racoon's natural enemy is the coyote. This site sold all kinds of deterents but for racoons, it was coyote urine pellets. So I ordered a few pouches and some kind-of containers for the substance.

I received the stuff. I made one big mistake, I cut open one the aluminum foil pouches while I was in my basement! OMG, I couldn't get outside fast enough. When I did, my neighbor was outside with her dog. The dog started to bark at me and take a defensive stance.

She asked what I had to make her dog go nuts. I told her but she said that she couldn't smell it. She stuck her nose right inside the pouch and still couldn't smell it. She said that she had a sinus problem, I guess so?

I still a have a pouch or two. If you like, I'll send you one. Sure to clear a crowded room in less than a minute!
    Bill
    Retired Machine Repairman
    Just a DIY'r

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I still a have a pouch or two. If you like, I'll send you one. Sure to clear a crowded room in less than a minute!
    Oh no. Please don't. That's one thing that works pretty well for me; sense of smell. Sometimes it's a curse.
    My favorite super power is hearing a leaking toilet valve when I go to homes. They think I'm kidding until they get their next water bill.
    I get offers to work on sewage ejectors, and I can't get myself to do them. I have used a respirator while cleaning a grease trap, and that worked out okay. Without that, I was gagging.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The copper pipe was from a 1960's toilet, about six gallons.
    If you had a 1.28, why wouldn't you flush?

Some People are proud of their Masterpieces and want to share with others. Some people even take pictures and post on the internet. Can you say twisted ?

A big floater and / or mellow yellow don't impress me tho.

If I want to save water then I water my trees.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

IMHO, a much better way to save a little bit of water is to cut 30-seconds or so off your shower, and if you really like marathon ones, cut down more. Don't leave the water running while you brush your teeth, and use a dishwasher rather than rinsing and hand washing. There are other, low-impact (as in change of habit) things you can do, too. WHen I was in London one time, they had big posters in the 'Tube' saying to save water, pee in the shower rather than the toilet (while showering, hopefully obviously!). That works, too.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014