(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Seeking hot water replacement advice

Hybrid View

Default Seeking hot water replacement advice

Need to replace a gas hot water heater with direct venting. Currently have a 15 year old 75 gallon unit. 4 in family (three baths). Never take more than 2 showers at a time or within an hour (unless we have guests). But have growing kids. My plumber uses AO Smith and thus I've been doing my research on their different options. He suggested a 75 gallon replacement. I started to look into more efficient units and identified two: XGV-50 and the vertex (highly efficient) models.

The XGV-50 has 88 gallon first hour delivery but recovery of only 41 gallons. It has 40,000BTU input/hour and Energy factor of .62.

The Vertex model (GPHE-50) has 127 gallon first hour delivery, 92 gallon recovery but uses 76,000BTU input. 90% thermal efficiency.

The 75 gallon unit doesn't have a first hour delivery rating, recovers 81 gallons and uses 75,100BTU (model PCG75 or FCG75). No energy factor rating.

I have no idea how best to make a decision. I want to be conscientious about energy usage but dont want to be in a situation where I'll regret having to take cold showers. Any thoughts on how to decide size/energy effeciency or experience with these (or brands) models?

Thanks,

Scott

Recovery, and thus first hour rating, is a function of btu input. The 75 gallon unit has a recovery of 81 gallons, which added to the 75 gallon storage gives a first hour rating of 156 gallons, but that is theroetical. Actual delivery would be less than that, because thermal cool down caused by the incoming cold water, and your usage would not be linear for 60 minutes, but if it were, that capacity would give you about 2.5 gallons per minute.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

HJ,

I completely understand. My question is: will the two smaller WHs be sufficient or will I regret not getting a larger, but less efficient model?

I worry that the vertex, while smaller, is overkill since I wont be using it for radiant heat. And the other 50 gallon unit, I fear will be too small.

Thanks,

scott

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

With children, at least early in life, you will often be taking baths. Running full tilt to fill a tub, you can get somewhere between 75-80% of the full capacity because the burner has little time to heat the incoming cold. The figures they show would be for something like say a shower where your gpm is lower and the burner running at full tilt will be able to warm that water more since you're draining it slower.

AO Smith is not my first choice in WH.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

what would you recommend?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scooterman1 View Post
    what would you recommend?
    Bradford White or Rheem (Rheem also makes the GE one sold at HD). Bradford White is not generally sold to consumers, only to professinals.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014