Kohler Memoirs - some better than others?

Users who are viewing this thread

RonB

Reaction score
I noticed in the MaP test results that one version of the Kohler Memoir is rated at only 125 g whereas the K-3451 and K-3453 models are rated at 800g. This compares favorably with the Totos. The disadvantage is that these models of the Kohler Memoirs are more than twice as expensive. However, due to WAF (wife approval factor), she may want to spend the extra money for the looks.

Does anyone have experience with these more expensive Kohler Memoirs models (almost $800!)? Do they perform as well as the Totos?

I know it sounds stupid to spend 2.5 times the price, but marital bliss is worth something.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The K3451/53 are comfort height and use Kohler's class 5 flush technology.

The comfort heigt bowl adds to the price in any brand. The class 5 is their version of the large diameter flush valve. This is the technology introduced by Toto, and now widely copied, as in AS Champion, etc. This type of technology also jacks up the price in any brand. Kohlers are pricey because of the "Stately" or "Classic" design.

RonB

Reaction score
As good as Totos?

Thanks, Jimbo.

So do people consider the class 5 system for these Kohlers as good as the Totos, or are the totos still better (plus cheaper).

I don't want to spend 2.5 times as much and get a less workable toilet.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
RonB said:
I noticed in the MaP test results that one version of the Kohler Memoir is rated at only 125 g whereas the K-3451 and K-3453 models are rated at 800g. This compares favorably with the Totos. The disadvantage is that these models of the Kohler Memoirs are more than twice as expensive. However, due to WAF (wife approval factor), she may want to spend the extra money for the looks.

Does anyone have experience with these more expensive Kohler Memoirs models (almost $800!)? Do they perform as well as the Totos?

I know it sounds stupid to spend 2.5 times the price, but marital bliss is worth something.

Ron, if you select a memoirs that isn't comfort height you will only pay one third of that price at a big box store (white only). I just installed the memoirs suite in my master bath and I am one happy guy. The Ingenium toilet technology is
not rated as high for solid waste however rated higher for cleanliness and noise according to the Kohler book anyway.

My old toilet was a generic disaster so any improvement would impress me. One of lifes great mysteries is what women put in the toilet and living alone currently, I dont have to worry about that right now. lol

The memoirs design is unique in that it is a classy art deco design with a modern twist so it's not going out of style in 5 years when the "revival"
trend is over imo. It's elegant yet masculine at the same time. The toilet has a unique rectangle shaped footprint which is larger than many other
toilets. It looks and feels like it will last a lifetime.

I do a lot of graphic art so that is my perspective.
If I dont like the look of an appliance or fixture-Im not buying it-no matter
how advanced the technology is. I am getting pretty interested in this Toto
based on what the pros here are saying here however.

I'm here primarily to learn about technology and quality. great board Jimbo...

Looking for cleaning products that wont harm a new finish...

Mike

kohler_memoirs_shepard.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

RonB

Reaction score
Memoirs

Thanks, Mike. I noticed that the only Memoirs toilets that were their Class 5 were the comfort height version, for some reason. And they were more than twice as much, as you noted. The MaP tests showed a big difference between these Memoirs and the others. I'm glad you're happy with yours.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks