(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Advice needed on bending lineset

Default Advice needed on bending lineset

I've pulled out an old 7/8" R-22 lineset and replacing with a 1 1/8" R-410A lineset. I'm running the new lineset myself and a local HVAC guy is going to complete the install of my new heat pump and air handler.

My first question involves bending the new lineset and installing the same method of the old: is there tool that the HVAC contractor will have to do the necessary 90 bend with the new lineset already in place in the ceiling? My thought is probably not so what about the 1 1/8 line being cut and 90 degree elbow used to bring the tube down toward where you see the old line going out through the cinderblock? I can notch out more of the hole to give more access for a brazing tip.

I am also considering running the 1 1/8" tube straight out the wall and have the bends on the outside of the house.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by jfls49; 11-18-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: reworded for better clarity

Default Im overwhelmed with all the answers

I must say I am overwhelmed with all of the answers. Everyone must be busy getting ready for thanksgiving?

Quote Originally Posted by jfls49 View Post
    I've pulled out an old 7/8" R-22 lineset and replacing with a 1 1/8" R-410A lineset. I'm running the new lineset myself and a local HVAC guy is going to complete the install of my new heat pump and air handler.

My first question involves bending the new lineset and installing the same method of the old: is there tool that the HVAC contractor will have to do the necessary 90 bend with the new lineset already in place in the ceiling? My thought is probably not so what about the 1 1/8 line being cut and 90 degree elbow used to bring the tube down toward where you see the old line going out through the cinderblock? I can notch out more of the hole to give more access for a brazing tip.

I am also considering running the 1 1/8" tube straight out the wall and have the bends on the outside of the house.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Perhaps take the hint that this work should be left for your pro.

I've done this myself, but if you are getting a pro to install the rest, you might as well have him do the lineset as well. I can't imagine that it would add much to the cost. They do have tools to bend the lineset, but they may use an elbow instead, depending on how much room they have, etc. Another thing to remember is if you rolled out the soft copper, it will start to "work harden" as you mess with it and it will become difficult to bend.

I must say I am overwhelmed with all of the answers. Everyone must be busy getting ready for thanksgiving?
    For what its worth, it looks like the end of that line is uncapped; not a good idea to let any debris fall into it
    Last edited by BobL43; 11-21-2012 at 07:25 AM.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Default That is the old lineset

I left it in the wall, if it was the new lineset we wouldn't be having this conversation

Quote Originally Posted by BobL43 View Post
    For what its worth, it looks like the end of that line is uncapped; not a good idea to let any debris fall into it

I left it in the wall, if it was the new lineset we wouldn't be having this conversation
    Looks brand new!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

our line set are cap and dry. outside air has water droplets and 410a and water is like electric and water, thay will mix but the out come isnt good. first of all looks like an old unit. the lineset did have a bend the last picture has the bend but isnt long enought and turned down, and the 1 1/8 line geo just what size unit do you have there? and there are tube benders for the soft copper that you have. any hvac man without one i cant see how he does most jobs. 7/8 in hard but 1 1/8. that do make spring look trick you slip over the tubing and bend and move bend and move i have some but never did use them to slow. I can see the old old timer filling with sand and bending the sand and bending, but a very bad idea. lol lol. I think you are going to have a troubled system and you will pay each and every month for the way its installed by the way of electric and break downs. I wish you the very best of luck sit.