culligan estate 2 problems... water not soft

Users who are viewing this thread

jstephens

Reaction score
i have had this softner for about six months, i got it slightly used from a friend who never used it. it worked for a good month and ever since hasnt really worked, i checked the float and messed with it by moving it up and down and checked the tubing going to the tank and its free of debri, there is water in the tank but it has used very little salt in six months. im a diy er and would like to fix this thing without paying culligans service call fee.. i tried adjusting the salt lbs and still nothing. last night i recharged it twice in a row and i can tell it did something but very little.. i took a good number of pics for you guys to look at.. help would be greatly apprectiated.. dry skin is no fun lol

jstephens

Reaction score
2012-06-08171431.jpg2012-06-08171438.jpg heres the last two

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
That clear vinyl tubing, it kinks easily so make sure it isn't kinked closed somewhere. If it is that would prevent brine suction.

Have you taken the brine line off while the control is in slow rinse/brine draw and checked for a good suction? Loose brine line compression fittings can cause no brine suction too.

How about a salt bridge (a hollow space) under the salt with no salt down in the water? That would allow a normal amount of water in the salt tank and a regeneration not using any salt.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
So it looks like it is part digital control and part old day style.
There is a red button that is to be pushed for starting a cycle...
I would say that there is some re wiring to turn this in to a day cycle unit...
There was another person that did the re wire and the unit is working.

jstephens

Reaction score
no salt bridge. I have stuck the broom handle in there and moved it around.. the clear tube is not kinked and I'm pretty sure the unit is in its factory condition

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Strong water flow in the backwash?
light flow and draw in the brine draw and slow rinse?

jstephens

Reaction score
last night I moved the salt pounds from all the way up to 20lbs and I looked in the brine this morning and could tell the salt was melting so I guess this a good sign when you see the salt clumping up

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have you checked under the silver cap on the top of the valve body to make sure that the injector is clear?
If the injector is not clear or the nuts at either end of the brine line are not tight then it may not draw the brine.
No brine draw equals not recharged resin.

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
And when it in the brine draw slow rinse is there water getting removed from the salt/brine tank?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
You say that you can send it into a cycle, true?

There are two ways of having the unit clean at a different time other than the 2am, one is to have it live 12 hours ahead or behind either way works or the other is the back out the set screw and set with the gray rear pointer what time it cleans while having it on the current time of day.

Now if there is nothing wrong with the float, the injector is clean .. and there is no water going to the drain while it is in service, there remains only 2 reasons, either it is NOT cycling or the brine piston assembly/piston is in need of either work or replacement.

Now your system is neither straight day nor meter, as it has the red button and the elect with it might be missing the system up so that it is not really cycling like it should.

jstephens

Reaction score
I thought the tabs meant it regenerates everyday since I pushed them all in? this damn thing is so confusing I'm pretty sure something is not adjusted right.. lbs per salt, the float on the tank or like you said its only regeneration is by manually doing it and pushing red button

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes pushing a pin in will have the unit clean, and if you have all 6 pushed in then every night it will clean.
Now there is some thing else that might be going on, the main motor is either working or not working , pushing and pulling the main piston in and out, or the upper part of the motor not pulling or pushing the brine piston in and out.

Because you have the red button you need to first push that button and then move the gray lever down to start a cycle.
To find out you will need remove the cover from the valve head, the cover has the instructions on the front.
Once it is removed you will be able to find out if motors are working , pistons are moving in and out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks