80 gallon galvanized water pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

tksattler

Reaction score
I have an 80ish gallon galvanized water pressure tank that I no longer need. See photo. Does anyone know if this is worth anything? Should I just hope that someone will take it for free and get it out of my basement, or could I sell it? How much...? Any comments are appreciated!

Attachments

• DSCN9089.jpg
    DSCN9089.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 5,095

6t7gto

DIY Junior Member
Reaction score
My son just replaced his. It cost him $200.00 for the tank.
Try craigslist. Someone may need it in a pinch.
david

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There would be few people who would take a chance on installing it because it already has rust stains on it. You might find a scrap dealer who would pick it up and pay you for it, but most would charge you to take it away.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Try craigslist...
Ja, folks like to browse CL just to get a good laugh.
...most would charge you to take it away.
Ja like all the "free firewood" ads on CL. They have a standing dead hazard tree that would cost them thousands to have removed by pros, and they think that a pro with $5M insurance coverage will remove it for free just for the firewood! Always good for a laugh!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Try putting in the trunk of your car and taking it to a junk yard. They WILL give you a couple of bucks for it, maybe enough to pay for the gas to take it there.

tksattler

Reaction score
Thanks. Got Junk sounds like my best option. I may try free on CL first, though my hopes aren't high. The tank weighs a ton.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If the tank is heavy, it is probably because there is a mass of sand or other sediment in the bottom of it. I have heard of people cutting them into sections with a sawzall to make it easier to get them out of basements.

The new replacement tanks are paper-thin and only weigh a fraction of the old ones.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I may try free on CL first, though my hopes aren't high. The tank weighs a ton.
Probably you will get a response from the same crack heads that are stealing copper to sell to scrap metal dealers. They will probably ding your walls and gouge your floors trying to haul it out. At the same time they will case the joint so that they can come back for the copper that is worth so much more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks