Expansion tank size problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Austin83

Reaction score
I am getting a PRV installed due to high pressure coming into my house. I have two 50 gallon hot water heaters that are right next to each other and connected. The plumbing supply store has a 4 gallon, or a 20 gallon expansion tank, and they told me the 4 gallon expansion tank is for an 80 gallon hot water heater, but they think that it will be just fine for my situation. The difference in price is astronomical between those two tanks, and the local Lowes and Home Depot carry a 4.4 gallon tank. My choices are limited, and I'm sure any hired plumber in this area would slap a 4 gallon tank on it and be done with it, but I'd like to know if this is going to be alright for my home. Any information or help is greatly appreciated.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
as a practical matter, almost any size expansion tank will be all right, as long as the air precharge is correct. Air is a gas, so it is impossible to "squeeze" it into "nothingness". Therefore there will ALWAYS be an air bubble in the tank to absorb the expansion.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks