PVC Glue on Fiberglass tub

Users who are viewing this thread

Beachfront71

Reaction score
Hello and thanks for any tips here ..

Was putting together the overflow and drain kit on my Kohler tub, it is all white PVC and I was using the clear (700 I think) glue..

Long story short we had the tub tilted up to make this easier and some of the glue ran back down the PVC pipe and into the tub where it is now dried around the drain area .... about a 4 inch long trail of it ..

Are there any tips / solvents that will get this off the tub without leaving a mark? I have no clue if a thinner or remover will also take off some of the tub finish..

I highly doubt any of the pro's here has ever had that happen but am sure some of your hired help have done it once or twice ... :):)

Thanks again.. checks in the mail!!

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't know for sure, but while you might be able to peel the trail, it very well could leave a permanent mark. I base that opinion on the fact that PVC glue is not really glue but a solvent that reacts to PVC by melting the surface of the PVC pipe and fitting so that when joined, two surfaces blend together and form what is call a solvent weld. Now, what I am unsure about is what this solvent will do with surface of the fiberglass. Stay tuned for responses from some of the pros.

Bluebinky

Reaction score
My wild guess is that it could dull the finish just a bit. Just a guess, though -- it might come right off leaving no mark, or be possible to buff out the "stain". One of the old pros here must have had this happen before!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The solvents are pretty strong in the pvc cement...it may have melted the gel coat on the fiberglass and bonded really well. You may be able to buff the whole thing off and if you're really lucky, it may peel off. If the tub has a tiling flange that will be hidden, you might try putting a little on there, leave it overnight or until 'dried', then see what happens.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The first thing I would try would be a clear primer, or nail polish remover, after first testing it on a "safe" area of the tub to be sure there was no damage to the finish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks