(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Changing direction of new PVC pipe while replacing slab on grade in new house

Hybrid View

Question Changing direction of new PVC pipe while replacing slab on grade in new house

Hi,
    I'm thinking of changing the direction of the drain pipes in the master bath area of our house remodel.
    We had to replace the slab on grade in this house because it was severely cracked due to expanding soils.
    We are replacing all the old cast iron with PVC. The lower portion of the drains were severely corroded and cracked.
    Here is the proposed change of direction in order to get the toilet vented without any fixture in between the toilet and the vent. (IPC)
    Name:  Sewer Change of Direction_4.jpg
Views: 4183
Size:  23.1 KB
    The vanity is between the toilet and the shower on the other side of the vent which will be incorporated into the shower wall. Here is one proposed method of connecting the vanity (into the vent?)
    Name:  Existing sewer_4.jpg
Views: 4322
Size:  25.6 KB
    I think we need to run another 2" line from the vanity to the main drain to avoid wet venting the toilet vent. I can still bring the vent up from the rear of the vanity to the main 2" vent but run the drain at a diagonal across to the main drain.
    The tub will be across from the toilet and the vanity, and we could combine the vanity drain and the tub drain on one 45 degree v connection to the main drain and then vent the tub up to the ceiling and over to the main vent.
    Name:  Existing sewer_6.jpg
Views: 4102
Size:  26.0 KB
    Any issues with this plan? Thanks...

It it all too confusing to try to make any sense of any of the drawings. Give us a "floor plan" of the fixtures then it may make sense. In fact, maybe NONE of your plans is the best one.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Sorry the photos are confusing. They show the old pipe layouts so that the differences are noted.
    Here is the floorplan with the size pipes and layouts for the whole house. The only plumbing not being redone is the bathroom in the back between the two bedrooms, that was ABS and is connected to the new PVC with a fermco fitting where it was connected to the cast iron.
    Name:  Dibble Res_FP_Plumbing_1.png
Views: 3755
Size:  60.5 KB
    I'm most concerned about the master bathroom. The new layout has the toilet drain vented to the old vent and the shower comes in on the other side of the wall that will hold the vent piping. The lavatory in between is draining to a 2" pipe that joins to the bathtub drain and on to the main drain in green.

Thanks....

Well, I borrowed some books from the library (online digital books) and figured out the solution to the sink between the toilet and vent problem. Just put in another vent!
    I had the extra pipe in there to keep from having the sink between the toilet and the vent but luckily I saw an image that I was able to copy and revise for my layout.
    Here it is, just in case someone else has this issue.
    Name:  Master Bath Plumbing Layout.png
Views: 8873
Size:  72.1 KB

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The bathtub is not vented in that picture. The pipe can't go down before the vent. Only the toilet gets that kind of special treatment.

The tub is not vented AND it is an illegal "S" trap. The vent next to the tub is "cosmetic" and does absolutely nothing. THe vent between the toilet and sink is also redundant, unless the toilet is more than 6 feet from the sink connection. It looks like something out of a "1930s" book, except that would not have a 3" toilet connection.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    The bathtub is not vented in that picture. The pipe can't go down before the vent. Only the toilet gets that kind of special treatment.

The tub in my picture is after the vent, right? How would I reproduce that 2 story drawing for a horizontal 1 story slab drain?
    Should the vent be directly over the trap? (I mean behind it since it can't be directly over the tub drain!)
    Name:  Master Bath Plumbing Layout_2.png
Views: 12268
Size:  71.0 KB
    Last edited by emd36; 11-16-2012 at 07:57 AM.