How do I hook up a Goulds 3/4 hp deep well jet pump with cross and control valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

Schimko

Reaction score
So I have a J7 3/4 hp Goulds pump. They also sold me the control valve and the cross piece. We had guessed at this with our first shot and think we had too much pressure going down my casing therefore blowing off my leathers. I read the pump book again today for the 5th time and have come to realize that I need to run my pressure switch off this control valve, which we did not do the first time. The pump book says it should have like 32 psi going down the casing. That seems easy enough to do. My question is how do the pipes run? Like from the cross to the tank to the control valve, or from the cross to the pump to the control valve? I have 3 holes on my pump. The one on top I believe is my main water line and the other 2 are for discharge? The hole in the middle is 1 1/4" and the bottom hole is 1" i believe. Can someone PLEASE help before it starts to freeze my dirt so I cant shovel it back into the hole?

Cross cropped.jpgAV22.png

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
You will need a jet assembly for the end of the pump. The control valve male end screws into the top of the pump and the outlet of the control valve goes to the tank. You can screw a pressure guage in the other connection. You need to adjust the control valve to 20 lbs while the pump is running. This causes the jet assembly to work best. Once there is 20 lbs of pressure you (can) open the control valve wide open if you want.

Schimko

Reaction score
The jet assembly, because it is a deep well pump, is 70 feet down my casing by the foot valve. Any other suggestions?

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
so you had to pull the jet assembly out and fix the leathers? what was the water level when you pulled it all out? no more pressure than your pump can build, the leathers should not blow off. what kind of pump did you take off? did you hook the new one up the same way the old one came off? i've never seen a well adapter like that. i assume the pipe going through the top is sealed to the well adapter and goes down inside the casing all the way to the jet assembly with the leathers? if so that pipe should go to the 1.25" port in the front of the pump. the pipe from the side of the well adapter is pressure and should go to the 1" port in front of pump. i assume the other hole in well adapter should be plugged. like porky said, the control valve threads into the 1" port in the top of the pump.. then to switch/tank/etc from there..

Schimko

Reaction score
Heres the history in a nut shell. Lost prime on old system 4 months after I bought the house. All it had on for a pump was a shallow well wayne pump. After months of research I finally found out what I had. We pulled up the jet and leathers first because I thought my foot valve was bad. It wasnt. Put new leathers on and down the pipe it went. Got the new J7 pump, pitless adapter, cross, tank, and control valve. Hooked everything up and after a day or so pump would not build enough pressure to shut off and shortly after lost its prime. Pulled the pipe back up because we expected that the leathers blew off. Still not sure if that was the case but we put new leathers on again and sent it back down. And now here I am in the basement trying to figure it out. We hit water at about 30 feet when we put the pipe back down. You are correct that the top of the cross is sealed and that pipe sticking out of it is my main water pipe that goes to my jet assembly. So my main water goes to the big port in the middle of my pump. The bottom port on my pump should go to my well adapter. The other hole on the well adapter should get plugged. The control valve goes on top of pump and one port goes to tank and the other port goes to... ??

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
not sure how a shallow well pump ever worked if water level is 30'. at any rate..

male threaded end of control goes in top of pump. then the hole in top of control is plugged with a gauge so you can set the backpressure.. the hole out side of control is discharge and goes to switch/tank/etc..

Last edited:

Schimko

Reaction score
Thats what I thought. Apparently it worked that way for years. maybe the barometric pressure is lower or higher here...

OK I think I can picture it in my head now. Thanks for all your help. Sorry for the ignorance but this is my first well ever. Plus i build computers not wells. I will be working on it tonight. Although I think i need a longer pressure switch hose yet...

Schimko

Reaction score
When I bought the house it had 70' feet of pipe in the ground with a jet and leathers at the bottom. In the basement was a shallow well wayne pump. Maybe my water level is between 20-30 feet I dont know for sure. All i hear is caplunk when we drop the pipe down there. Either way that's not what I'm using now.

Schimko

Reaction score
OK guys what do you think of this? This is how I see it in my head. Please pick it apart if it is wrong. The text in the pic says main water to middle hole on front of pump. And by the arrow it says main water from well. Sorry for the small pic I was getting an error trying to attach it. Maybe the picture would be bigger here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/25611152@N08/8186269726/sizes/k/in/photostream/

8186269726_373a6254a3_k.jpg

Last edited:

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
no, line from control valve does not tie into bottom line of 2 pipes to pump.. from control valve strait over to tank/house. other than that, looks about right.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In the basement was a shallow well wayne pump.

No, it is not a shallow well pump. With 2 lines going to the wellhead and a packer down the well it is a deep well pump. It would only be a shallow well pump if the jet were mounted on the pump.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
I just figured the water level fluctuates and someone rigged a shallow pump to work with the jet line. doesn't matter, the right type of pump is being installed now.. a very good pump IMO.

Schimko

Reaction score
Justwater, thanks for the correction on my diagram. I worked on it last night for a bit. I still have to hook the tank to the control valve and get a longer line for my pressure switch.

Here is a pic of what is on the bottom of my pipe.

2.5jet.jpg

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
So I have a J7 3/4 hp Goulds pump. They also sold me the control valve and the cross piece. We had guessed at this with our first shot and think we had too much pressure going down my casing therefore blowing off my leathers. I read the pump book again today for the 5th time and have come to realize that I need to run my pressure switch off this control valve, which we did not do the first time. The pump book says it should have like 32 psi going down the casing. That seems easy enough to do. My question is how do the pipes run? Like from the cross to the tank to the control valve, or from the cross to the pump to the control valve? I have 3 holes on my pump. The one on top I believe is my main water line and the other 2 are for discharge? The hole in the middle is 1 1/4" and the bottom hole is 1" i believe. Can someone PLEASE help before it starts to freeze my dirt so I cant shovel it back into the hole?

View attachment 17848View attachment 17849

Why is there a tee in the Jet drive line ? Are you using it as a output ?

Seems like it should be on the pump outlet, Or am I missing something ?

if it was really "blowing off my leathers" then that must be a site to see. Please post pictures.

Last edited:

Schimko

Reaction score
Theres not a T in the Jet drive line. Theres a T on top of my casing.

I wouldve loved to have been down there to take pictures of this event but I dont fit down my 2 1/2" casing. :D

DonL

Reaction score
Theres not a T in the Jet drive line. Theres a T on top of my casing.

I wouldve loved to have been down there to take pictures of this event but I dont fit down my 2 1/2" casing. :D

If it has a packer then the casing is the Jet drive line. Is it not ?

DonL

Reaction score
I am no expert, But seems to me that the only reason to have a tee where yours is, would be for a gauge to measure the Jet pressure.

Normally if you are using a water pressure/flow regulator, then most likely it would have a Gauge on it.

It sounds like you may have a valve that restricts the output of the pump to get the jet pressure up.

That should work, but the valve needs to be closed some or the jet may never get enough pressure to get the water flowing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks