Delta 17 shower tub

Users who are viewing this thread

cabfo3

Reaction score
I just ordered an open box delta 17 lahara trim kit. Its a shower/tub combo. Im doing a shower only in my 2nd bathroom. Am i correct in assuming that i just ditch the faucet and use the cartridge, shower head, and trim? I notice a valve available with the tub feed already plugged. Correct?

Its that or install a foot wash in the shower ;-)

We are in the tiling stage of the 1st bathroom so i already understand how to install a 17 addison valve & cartridge. I hope the handle isnt too difficult, but their instruction book has been great so far. We had a plumber do the copper piping, but the rest is DIY.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some people advocate using the spout outlet, mount the spout down low and off to the side as a 'toe tester'. It can also be useful if you need to fill a bucket.

cabfo3

Reaction score
Great idea, but its probably a diverter spout. Is there a valve available that would eliminate bending? Hubby is handicapped and cant bend so far on a daily basis.
We installed lots of blocking for grab bars in bath 1 so he can get in/out of that tub. Moen has some really nice ones which i got at a grab bar site,

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The easiest way would be to use a divertor spout, but you could add an in-line on/off valve - no need for a special divertor valve. Or, forget about it, and cap off one side. If you are planning on more than one head, use the tub outlet rather than the restricted shower outlet. I think you can insert the cartridge 180-degrees out so you don't need to wrap the line around. Check it out first just in case that valve won't work that way.

From a practical viewpoint, a themostatic valve should not need regular adjustment for your 'perfect' temp, just turn the water on and wait a moment, and it should be fine.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It WOULD be diverter spout, and you WOULD install it high enough so he does not have to bend over. It is a handy feature, and it means you NEVER have to get hit with a blast of cold water when you turn the faucet on. "Open boxes" are always iffy since you do not know if everything is there, or if it has been damaged. BUT, if this is really a "trim kit" then you may also need the "universal body" to install in the wall.

cabfo3

Reaction score
I knew it was a gamble, and I lucked out. The trim kit I got for Bath 1 was unused but the bags had been opened. I paid $65 for a stainless Addison.
The one that arrived today was $35 for a bronze Lahara trim kit. The box was seriously dented but no bags were opened. There is a slight out of roundness to the face trim plate at 12 o'clock. Im not sure if its supposed to be there or if it was caused by the box dent. Even if I decide to order a separate victorian trim plate Im still way ahead. And yes, valve extra.
Im going to check with my plumber, but it looks like i will go ahead and have him put in the lower faucet plumbing when he raises the shower head from eye level. Thanks guys!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks