(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Bathroom Vanity - obstructed drain install

Question Bathroom Vanity - obstructed drain install

Hello all. I need your help. I have asked everyone I know and nobody seems to have a reasonable answer. Here is my problem. I really hope you can help...

I am replacing the bathroom vanity as part of a remodeling project. The new vanity has access only from the back and the front is solid with absolutely no access. The water lines should be easy to plug in since they are long and flexible and I can just plug them in and then pull the unit back against the wall to the final position. The challenge comes from the drain. How do I install the drain line before it is in the final position. I would have to fully install the drain and then pull back the vanity against the wall to its permanent position.

I went to the local stores and nobody seems to have a drain pipe or solution for this particular situation.

I have included pictures below. Please help! I sincerely appreciate all your feedback. Thank you all!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Are you kidding me. Why the hell would someone do this? It would be imposible to hook up unless you use a flexible tail pipe pulled all the way out then when you push it in when installing.. Sorry its the best I could think of.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Unless you can get access from behind (sort of looks like it may be a stairway there), not sure how you'd do this. If you used glue-up fittings, you'd only get one chance to get it right, and then have to break something if you ever wanted to get it back out. Plus, it would be a major pain if it ever needed to be snaked without access from somewhere. A pro may have some other thoughts, don't give up.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

The easy answer to your question is the "YOU CAN'T". There is no way to make a "flexible" drain connection which will work properly, and any "final" connection has to be tightened or it WILL leak. Whoever decided to use that table for a sink base must have been an interior decorator, because they were NOT thinking ahead.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

the only way that this could be hooked upd is from the other side of the wall with an access panel. Some of the commercial facilities have a service area behind the water wall generally used as a service closet between the mens and womans rest rooms.
    Michael
    Sac City Plumbing
    http://SacCityPlumbing.com

Just because someone calls it a "lavatory", doesn't make it one. Clearly, whoever designed that item was clueless
    about how real plumbing fixtures work. Get rid of it.

As somebody pointed out on another forum, it may be a holy water basin. I'm suspicious as well...where's the faucet suppose to go?