Lets' talk grout type

Users who are viewing this thread

boardable

Reaction score
So I am getting ready to grout my shower plan floor. Used botik eurothane grout on the walls and it turned out great. For the floor they did not have my color in a eurothane grout so now I am stuck with either using the same regular sanded grout I am using on my floor or using a epoxy grout from home depot. I like the eurothane grout because it helps in the water proofing. Does the epoxy grout do the same or is does it still absorb as much water as the regular grout. I just cant get the picture out of my head of water absorbing through the regular sanded grout. Yup loosing sleep lol.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
First, a properly built shower is waterproof BEFORE the tile is installed, so the grout type used shouldn't be a big consideration except for durability and reliability. Epoxy grout is a waterproof plastic, so no, once cured, it is not affected by water. Cement based grouts are somewhat porous and a sealer helps keep them clean. An epoxy grout does not absorb any sealer, so it's not useful.

boardable

Reaction score
That is what I am wondering. PLus I used a kerdi pan and flood tested but like I said it is keeping me up at night. Also the fact that the foam may be a little flexible makes me want to use epoxy as well.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
When you spread the load out with the tile, denting the foam pan is not an issue at all! Epoxy grout requires careful cleanup (well, any grouting does, but epoxy is much harder to clean after it cures). Epoxy also tends to be a little shiney, which may or may not be an issue. Regardless, I'd go with either a conventional cement based grout or an epoxy. the epoxy shouldn't need any maintenance after installation, a cement based one will last as long or longer, but to look good, you likely would need to clean and seal it periodically. Depends on how much use the thing gets and the type of soaps and shampoos you use. Sealer won't waterproof the grout, but it helps prevent staining.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks